Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few people have ask that I upload a few pic's of my car. This is a '68 Convertible clone that I bought in March at the Volo Auto Museum near Chicago. To me, this is the ULTIMATE hot rod. Super cool ragtop in Kandy Brandywine paint with a bad-ass Jim Bulter 474, 500+ HP. Has a Kick Ass CD/Satelite Radio with J&L amplifier and Boston Acoustic sub woofer. Classic Crager S/S mags with Goodyear Eagle tires. Also has a highly modified
200 4R transmission with Art Carr pressure regulator, 13 Vane Pump and Gomez converter and has the his/hers floor shifter. Rear end set up with billet adjustable control arms, cast aluminum differential cover with C-clip eliminator drag axles, 12 bolt posi with 3:73 gears. Beautiful, fast ragtop with LOUD rock and roll. My license plate reads BAAAHD GOAT. What more could you ask for!

:party:

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Super nice car.

The only thing I would change would be that air cleaner. Other than that it looks perfect.

Nice Job and thanks for the pics. :cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
BAHHHD ASS.....love the plate, I went the opposite route...nice when you have more freedom to customize with a "clone" (hate that word...lol) than with a #'s GTO. Was gonna clone mine but was so original i could not stand to cut it up, so i gave it the best of both worlds.....:agree on the air cleaner for looks and efficiency.

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super nice car.

The only thing I would change would be that air cleaner. Other than that it looks perfect.

Nice Job and thanks for the pics. :cheers
Yeah, the verdicts still out on that air cleaner with me. When I got the car it had a big Demon double pumper on it, but it needed rebuilt. Smoked a lot at start up, blew black smoke when you were on the pipe. I had a nice chrome air cleaner with a K&N filter and a Pontiac 455 emblem on it. I decided to replace to carb with an Edelbrock 800CFM Thunder series for simplicity. It starts and idles great but not quite enough balls to feed this beast. Big hesitation when you nail it. I changed the accelerator pump nozzel, and put bigger primary and secondary jets in it and have it running pretty good now. Still not as much HP as with the Demon. One of the winter projects to rebuild it. But I bought that air cleaner to go with the carb, some like it some don't.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
bigger filter and chamber would let the Eddy breath a little better...a nice billet 12" would look great with those butler valve covers, they may even have a matching one.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Hesitation is probably insufficiant accelerator pump shot.

Those air cleaners are known to catch fire if you backfire through the carb.
And it's like sucking air through a straw for that nice motor you got. Put it on your air compressor or your lawn tractor.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
If I was you I'd find a book on the Demon carb, go through it and use it instead of the E carb. :cheers

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I was you I'd find a book on the Demon carb, go through it and use it instead of the E carb. :cheers
That's the plan, the Edelbrock is nice for cruising to the rootbeer stand and economy but can't perform like a Demon or Holly. I think Butler's matched that carb to the engine, I need to get it back on. Your probably right about the air cleaner, it would look pretty cool on my lawn tractor.
:D

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Now that there's plum purdy ----- nice!

+1 on losing that air cleaner. Those things filter only marginally better than a wet Kleenex. It'd be a shame to chew up all that Butler power with (mostly) unfiltered air.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
actually i have been thinking of removing my high beams for the cold air intakes and wanted something like the 67' wire grille only thinner to make covers and filter the air....hmmmm two of those might do the trick.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
It would look like a fly :rofl:.

I know what your talking about though, stone gaurds they are called and that would look pretty good. Or just some flat wire mesh mounted flush inside to keep the birds and insects out.

OP, I would recommend one of the K&N filters with the filter lid, that would flow sufficient to feed that badass Butler motor and look cool too.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:rofl:...i see that now that you mention it....let me clarify...the mesh and filter material out of it to make a round false headlight, i want it to look like there are still lights in it from a distance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts