Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Hi forum.....need this body tag decoded. Especially the upper numbers.....Thanks.

Please confirm that the body tag does NOT always correspond to the vin tag.....??? Thanks.
Looks a little funky with the gobs of goop on the rivets and the Data Tag doesn't appear to lay flat on the firewall. Confirm the VIN number on the dash with the stamped VIN on the drivers side frame rail just past the arch. It should be either stamped on the side or on top of the rail. You will have to do some cleaning to see it. This will authenticate the car and confirm the Vin's match. Then......

Order the PHS factory documents for your car by its VIN which will confirm what is on the Data Tag as well as options presently on the car. Many fakes out there as well as stolen parts/pieces cobbled together. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Those gobs of putty are common, the rivet showing looks to in perfect condition as dose the plate its self.
I think its the shadows that make it look curved/bent but that is one is clearly very flat and untouched.
The above decoder works well and would only suggest PHS if you think there is something unique about this '68 and you plan to restore it back to as built.
JM2C

Cheers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me..it looks very original. I need help with the upper number row(s).....what do they mean?

The datadecoder did not help in this regard......

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
1ST 3 Digits are the build date, 03A/ 03=Mar. A=1st week.
The 2nd & 3rd sets of 6 digits relate to Daily Production sequences and as far as I know can not be broken down and/or offer any useful info.
This was for the line crews.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts