Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
You are doing a great job. Has all the rust my '68 Lemans has. What's up with the rear corner caps at the rear quarters rotting out? I gotta repair mine as well along with trunk floor and quarters and...............

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks! Yeah I used the passenger side as a guide to get the contour right. It's a pain in the butt no doubt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks great. I have yet to tackle mine. My 68 runs and drives but needs all the same type body work. Cashing in all my change and saving on a monthly basis to start it.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car looks to be about the same starting point as mine. I did some inspection on the driver side quarter and I think the work I've done is all for nothing. The quarter has rust issues throughout and think i'll most likely be doing a full driver side quarter.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Looking good. I don't see any control arm braces. I would suggest adding them for insurance. Very easy to bolt up. I used the UMI braces as they have a slight bend to them that is supposed to better clear the floor - no hammering to fit. They are also adjustable for an easy line-up of the bolts, again, no hammering or fighting with them.

They come in red or black and have all the hardware to install -grade 8 bolts. Summit has them 4028-R & 4028-B. UMI sells them at the same price, but Summit offers free shipping over $100, so a little savings. UMI Performance Control Arm Reinforcement Brace Kits 4028-R - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

There are other brands and even the factory style, which may be cheaper, but since you have it apart it'll be easy to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking good. I don't see any control arm braces. I would suggest adding them for insurance. Very easy to bolt up. I used the UMI braces as they have a slight bend to them that is supposed to better clear the floor - no hammering to fit. They are also adjustable for an easy line-up of the bolts, again, no hammering or fighting with them.

They come in red or black and have all the hardware to install -grade 8 bolts. Summit has them 4028-R & 4028-B. UMI sells them at the same price, but Summit offers free shipping over $100, so a little savings. UMI Performance Control Arm Reinforcement Brace Kits 4028-R - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

There are other brands and even the factory style, which may be cheaper, but since you have it apart it'll be easy to install.
I didn't even know those existed! I'll ad them to the list and go do some research on them. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Juice 654,

Great job so far and yes my 68 had rot in the same spot as yours up on the top of the rear 1/4. As far as the braces, they were factory items for four speed cars, I would still add them to your project. Is that springmist green?

Anthony

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
You are doing a great job. Has all the rust my '68 Lemans has. What's up with the rear corner caps at the rear quarters rotting out? I gotta repair mine as well along with trunk floor and quarters and...............
Mine were gone too, but only on the side where it had rusted through around the back window. I've decided that what must have gone on, is that once it eats through the window channel and starts leaking into the trunk (which takes out the wheel house, lowest portion of the quarter panel, etc. as I'm sure you're well aware) some of the water must cling to the inner underside of the quarter and flow downhill all the way into those corner caps.

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Nice work your'e doing there, Juice. let me add my vote for control arm braces. UMI does make some very nice ones that follow the contour of the floor and are also adjustable for length. That's what I have on my car.

Bear

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Mine were gone too, but only on the side where it had rusted through around the back window. I've decided that what must have gone on, is that once it eats through the window channel and starts leaking into the trunk (which takes out the wheel house, lowest portion of the quarter panel, etc. as I'm sure you're well aware) some of the water must cling to the inner underside of the quarter and flow downhill all the way into those corner caps.

Bear

Yep, I figure once you get water/moisture in the trunk it must rise and collect in those corners, especially on those hot days when the moisture is burned off & up. Surprised no one offers replacements yet as it does seem common enough.

My trunk got rotted out due to the bad trunk seal which had rotted away and let water pour in, along with the window channel rot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Juice 654,

Great job so far and yes my 68 had rot in the same spot as yours up on the top of the rear 1/4. As far as the braces, they were factory items for four speed cars, I would still add them to your project. Is that springmist green?

Anthony
Funny you should ask that, when I bought the car I thought that was the color and that is the name of the color on the PHS documentation i ordered. However I kept finding factory silver overspray everywhere. Come to discover later the car is currently sprayed in Limelight green. Springmist green is actually more of a silver and will be the color the car will be going back to.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts