Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will take the 68 to the paint shop tommorrow. 3 to 5 months from now the car will be done and I will be dirt poor. Woo hoo

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Well I will take the 68 to the paint shop tommorrow. 3 to 5 months from now the car will be done and I will be dirt poor. Woo hoo
Yeah, but you'll have a grin on your face that can't be slapped off :D

I don't know what your car "needs" body/paint wise, but have you considered doing any of the work yourself? When I started in on my 69 my knowledge and experience in body work was exactly zero - nada - zip. However, I got lucky and found the right training videos and the right forum for asking questions/getting help, and was able to do all the work (so far) myself, including replacing a full quarter panel and patching some other rust spots. The car right now is straight, rust-free, in primer, wet sanded, and very near ready for paint. (Web site with a gazillion photos here)

There's a disadvantage - it takes longer, but the big advantage is that you retain complete control and and be as painstaking, careful, and picky as you want to be. You can work on it / re-do it until you're completely happy.

Bear

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to do it myself, but my garage is way too small and my procrastination is way to high, it would take me 15 years. I have had this car for 28 years and have only fixed a handfull of things.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will take 3 to 5 months because they are doing all the body work and engine refresh.
The color will be Kandy Brandywine.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to uploading some before pics. The shop had someone get hurt and go on disability so they have been way behind. It is supposed to go to media blast on Jan 17th, so maybe more pics then.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got it back from media blast, between crappy weather and the body shop is swamped it took a while, things should start moving faster once to body panels are bought.

Not too bad for a 44 year old Ohio girl.
1s100_1730.JPG
drivers side cowl
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
driver front fender[/ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

noodles anyone? The inside of the fender has rags and chicken wire and all kinds of stuff crammed in the hole before the bondo was added. Some kind of severe idiot did the body work.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am just south of you down in Xenia 17miles east of Dayton. For an Ohio car not bad for salt and liquid car eater they spread here. Good God! My cars come from the St. Louis area and have way way less rust then from here. Then there is Toledo and north till you find Toomany's car. Where from the door handles down is missing:seeya:

1 - 20 of 143 Posts