Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have know where I can locate convertible rear speaker mounting details - pictures, diagrams and/or mounting instructions.

Does the rear speaker mount in a housing like the 67? Is the speaker grill the same as the 68 that mounts on the package tray?

Any and all information appreciated.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have know where I can locate convertible rear speaker mounting details - pictures, diagrams and/or mounting instructions.

Does the rear speaker mount in a housing like the 67? Is the speaker grill the same as the 68 that mounts on the package tray?

Any and all information appreciated.
Convertibles don't have a package tray. Suggest a Bluetooth speaker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My reference to the package tray in a hardtop was related to the speaker grill not location. Is the speaker grill the same for a convertible? The biggest question is how does the speaker mount in a 68/69 convertible?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Really a good question and I do have a fairly good answer for you. I checked the service manual for all 5 years (68-72) and it refers to the Fisher Body manual for Convertible/Wagon rear speakers. But, I couldn't find any speakers in the body manuals for verts.
But, what I have read in the PY forum (showthread.php) is that the 68-69 generally follows the 67 application. In other words, a speaker mounted on the rear seat support. Fisher body wiring diagrams do support that showing the rear speaker wires on the seat support. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for researching. Checking behind the top well it appears that the rear speaker mounts directly to the back seat frame without a housing like what was used for the 67's. The special convertible speaker fasteners can be purchased from most Pontiac parts sources. From what I've learned the speaker grill seems to be the same one used for a hardtop. There is also a speaker ground wire that is required and can also be purchased from your favorite parts provider. Once I get everything and install it I will post pictures. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gto tigr

this picture is from a 71 a body, may be the same for the 68??
the grille lines up with the speakers when the top is up on the well liner as previously mentioned, not a lot of sound when the top is down
hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the pictures.

My metal framing in the trunk where the speaker mounts is the same. I believe the only difference is the grill shape and the fasteners, but the well mounting concept is the same.

I’m afraid you’re right, the sound when the top is down will be poor.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really a good question and I do have a fairly good answer for you. I checked the service manual for all 5 years (68-72) and it refers to the Fisher Body manual for Convertible/Wagon rear speakers. But, I couldn't find any speakers in the body manuals for verts.
But, what I have read in the PY forum (showthread.php) is that the 68-69 generally follows the 67 application. In other words, a speaker mounted on the rear seat support. Fisher body wiring diagrams do support that showing the rear speaker wires on the seat support. Good luck.
I had wondered about the factory speaker location and the PY forum has excellent detail. But I don't have a concours restoration and inherited a rear speaker setup from previous owners. They located 51/4" speakers in the rear quarter armrests. The grilles are above the rear seat cushion and are hard to see with the top up. Match them with 5 1/4" in the front kick panels, a good audio unit, and I have great sound with the top lowered even OK on the highway . The factory radio sits in the dash and the new unit is hidden.
I mention it since it works well, but I think I'd prefer the Bluetooth for the rear.if I were to design the whole system from scratch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enclosed are a few pictures representing how I installed the rear speaker in my 68 GTO convertible. My objective was to install it as the factory would have. I believe that the speaker, speaker wire, mounting fasteners and speaker grill are OEM correct. Everything fit and aligned well, that said, I've still not been able to locate any factory data/ documentation confirming the actual installation. Note, the speaker picture with the mounting fastener does not include the required nut with star washer that comes with the set of four when ordered.
IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2023.JPG IMG_2024.JPG IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2031.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts