Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 GTO that is restored and ran perfect until yesterday afternoon. I went down the street to a grocery store, shut the car off. when I came back out It started right up no problem. I drove down the street aprox. 2 miles, parked, and shut it off again. Came back to it 3 minutes later went to start it and it was as if the battery had been 95% drained. It would only turn over about half a crank. I had no electronics on while the car was off and did not leave the headlights on. I had a tow truck come out with a portable jumper box and it started right up. the volts were only at 13.2. While the engine was running i disconected the battery cable and it stayed running meaning that the alternator was still good.
The battery that is in the car is no more than two months old and is the most expensive gel glass mat battery. I highly doubt the battery is bad.
Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem?

·
Registered
681 Posts
What about the voltage regulator?

As far as the battery, one of our club members had a battery issue in his 70 Judge. Two in a row, the new batteries were bad. He has since swore off Advanced uto Parts.

Russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure, Voltage regulator is recently new and the alternator the same. I've eliminated the alternator being bad because after i jumped the car and it was running i disconnected the positive battery cable and the car stayed running.
I charged the battery to full today and put it in the car after cleaning the contacts very well. Started right up and ran it for awhile. checked volts while car was on and they stayed steady at 12.6 at the battery. I was getting about the same on the alternator as well. I turned on the headlights and the volts dropped to 12.4 and stayed steady. By staying steady on the battery i assume the alternator was charging the battery.
I also shut off the car and it started up again. still not sure what made it do this and who knows it may be dead tomorrow morning again. hope for the best. I always seem to have stupid trivial problems with this car. lol

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I'm not sure, Voltage regulator is recently new and the alternator the same. I've eliminated the alternator being bad because after i jumped the car and it was running i disconnected the positive battery cable and the car stayed running.
I charged the battery to full today and put it in the car after cleaning the contacts very well. Started right up and ran it for awhile. checked volts while car was on and they stayed steady at 12.6 at the battery. I was getting about the same on the alternator as well. I turned on the headlights and the volts dropped to 12.4 and stayed steady. By staying steady on the battery i assume the alternator was charging the battery.
I also shut off the car and it started up again. still not sure what made it do this and who knows it may be dead tomorrow morning again. hope for the best. I always seem to have stupid trivial problems with this car. lol
How old are the battery cables? Maybe the positive cable has corrosion inside the insulation, or a nick in it somewhere?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are quite old and posibly original cables. Point of contact was somewhat corroded but i cleaned it all up. it is possible there is corrosion inside. I need to replace them but cant right now. hope it keeps working.

·
Registered
55 Posts
slightly confused, in your last explanation did you say you had 12.6 while the vehicle was running? thats what it sounded like you said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts