Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my tank is really crusty. I dont know how the inside looks yet as I was late leaving this morning and in a rush... I found this one on ebay for 69$ shipped!

Spectra Premium Ind GM34A Fuel Tank | eBay

Most of them are running around 100 without a filler neck. 220 from Ames. If I can get a tank for less than 100 I am ggoing to jump on it because sealing mine and hours of cleaning only to be sprayed with 30 dollars worth od eastwood tank paint will cost me 100 total plus time for an okay look.

Any input? want to pull the trigger on this asap.:shutme

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Evidently you have to solder on the new neck, anybody done this? MAPP torch and some 50/50 acid core+flux?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Could work, but I wouldn't do it. Something about the 2 vent holes is odd also. Grinders and gas fumes are a bad combo, and you have to cut the old one off. If you NEED a tank, then try it, but $149 isn't that bad, and no hassle may be worth the money. I'm hoping to get my money back from him, looks legit, but that's why he's giving them away, trying to recoup some of his money from a stupid buy on his part.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, gonna have to look at mine when I get home to see how bad old one will be to get off. I'll fill it up with water before I do any brazing lol. A lot of the ones I have been finding in resto catalogs have the dual vent. Not sure yet, i'll post on here after I figure it out... He really is giving them away!

·
Registered
659 Posts
You can get a tank at your local autozone or advanced for a decent price. Take the tank and neck to a radiator shop to have it brazed on. I didn't replace mine, I sent it to a rad. shop and they cleaned, leak tested and sealed up any leaks for like $50 or $60 can't remember exact price. I painted the seams with POR15 before I painted the tank for extra insurace. That "galvanized tank paint" looks like regular silver paint, had I known, I would have just bought el cheapo silver paint instead.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
You can get a tank at your local autozone or advanced for a decent price. Take the tank and neck to a radiator shop to have it brazed on. I didn't replace mine, I sent it to a rad. shop and they cleaned, leak tested and sealed up any leaks for like $50 or $60 can't remember exact price. I painted the seams with POR15 before I painted the tank for extra insurace. That "galvanized tank paint" looks like regular silver paint, had I known, I would have just bought el cheapo silver paint instead.
My tank was replaced right before I bought it 8 years ago. No rust on it as of last year so I cleaned it up and POR15'd the the whole tank.....

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the vendor I got my stainless steel tank from! It came with the filler neck installed...about $200 as I recall.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Rukee, Thats the one!...I got mine without the sender $229 a year ago. I used a RobbMc sender for "added flow"...... it is a nice tank! I haven't filled it yet so I can't say if it holds gas but it is machine welded....Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts