Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 68 GTO with little needed and other than fixing the fuel gauge, would like to make a couple simple changes. The first is to try and swap out the original oil pressure and temp lights with an actual gauge which I believe Pontiac offered as an option. I'm not having much luck finding an original one as wanted to know if in fact they exist and if so, if it's as easy as swapping out the gauge and sending units.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
rally gauges are what you are after. Pontiac placed rally gauges in the same basic rally guage housings for '68-72 A body's in the following styles:
-'68...grey blue background gauges
-'69...dark grey back ground with 120 speedo
-'70-mid year '72...dark grey background w 140 speedo
-late '72...dark grey with 120 speedo & seat belt warning light.

For a '68, you'll most like likely want a '68 set. they occasionally come up for sale in nice shape with no fine rust spots on the gauge faces. The far rh opening is for an in dash tach or a factory clock. Not to dicourage you, I've pulled a ton of dash bezels and factory gauges out of GM A bodies and '68 Tempest/LeMans/GTO's are one of the most difficult to work on/remove. Heading out for the day, will post back with some tips on how to get the gauges out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I already have a tach so was just hoping to swap out the gauge with lights for one with meters. I just assumed the look will be the same as what I have if the gauge is year correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts