Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to tackle the power steering pump on my 68. First time doing it. The original in the car has been leaking and it's about that time for a replacement. Any recommendations on a new pump? Do I rebuild the original? And any tips or pointers on doing the removal and then the install? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
If you're picky and want to keep it all original, they guy at powersteering.com can rebuild yours. I had him go through my power steering unit and convert it to a 'quick ratio' unit at the same time. I like the result.

Bear

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I would rebuild the original using a rebuilt pump assembly or have yours rebuilt. If you purchase a rebuilt unit, it may not have the same style/type of housing or be in as good a shape as yours is now. You want to match up the hose fittings & bolt holes/stud on the back side for installation purposes. The rebuilt will typically work/fit, but may look different.

So if me, I would have the original rebuilt just to save any hassles that might crop up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts