Pontiac GTO Forum banner

121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Mostly all is quiet... I had one issue recently. I have been having oil pressure fluctuations so I went to check the level. I have always struggled with my dipstick and they way Pontiac' dipstick tubes are designed. I couldn't get the dipstick to get into the inner transition tube, the one pressed into the windage tray, until finally after pushing and twisting and on and on... I felt something let loose and it let out that gut sinking sound of something landing on the oil pan. I believe the inner tube fell out of the windage tray and into the pan. Now I have no idea if my oil level is low or not but i did add some and crossed my fingers that the tube fell away cleanly and fired her up. I think i got lucky. The tube seems to have fallen into the sump and my oil pressure has mostly resumed normal operating pressures. It was going from 70PAI on the highway down to 30PSI. now it mostly maintains 60-70 but will occasionally dip to 40-50. I am going to change the oil and filter tomorrow as I suspect the issue may be the filter going in and out of bypass...

It's always something😐...

I've been racking up the miles, probably around 350. Cruises have started up and I did take her to her maiden little parking lot car show. There were maybe 50 cars there. Such a good feeling. The Syracuse Nationals have been canceled this year but it seems as though people are looking to make up for it with rouge parking lot shows and large cruises. Looking forward to doing what I have always done best with this beast, breaking rules and fueling the inner rebel in me:devilish:.

In a lighter note, I have begun going through my interior parts and taking inventory of what is good and what is bad. I am needing a good bit of all the little things like vapor barrier for the door panels and the foam and springs around the window cranks/door crank. I found a back seat from someone here that is in excellent shape and have since finished off the outside look. Back window trim needs to go in but I have finally achieved the look I had envisioned so long ago. The last touch was tinting the windows. Maybe an evening shot will cut down on the glare but it looks damn good with the windows smoked out! I had fun with the filters too. The last one looks like it could have come out of a magazine from the late 60's.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
After reading Pontiac Jim's post on the same oil pressure issue and reading through my copy of Max-Performance Pontiac V-8's I believe I have the same issue. I probably have debris jamming the bypass ball valve. What is crazy is that my pressure will get up to the advertised 70 psi and down to 30 psi all on the highway and all at the same speed; after completely warmed up and after cruising on the highway for some time... I'm going to just monitor the pressure and if it gets below 30 at any point I'll park her till winter. I intend on just biting the bullet and pull the engine this winter to fix the suspected dipstick tube and this oil pump, assuming changing the oil and filter have no affect. I'll probably tack weld the dipstick tube to the windage tray if it is not stainless. I may also change the pump with a Butler pump and the oil pan with a Canton deep sump. I like that they have baffles and a oil pan mounted dipstick.

If Jim can limp it along this way for 7 years I suspect I I will be fine till this winter.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts