Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently had to replace the ignition switch because the guy I bought the car from lost the keys to it and did a number to it in order to get in running. It's a 1968 Lemans. He purchased a new tumbler which seemed to work fine for the original ignition switch despite damages to it. However I am having troubles getting this tumbler to go all the way to the rim with this new ignition switch and I wanted to know if there is a technique to it. I haven't tried muscling it in with tools because I don't want to damage it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
The one from Ames states not compatible with OEM tumbler. Other parts distributors most likely buy from the same Chinese source.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ya, I had to return the chinese switch because the threads weren't cut right to fasten it to the dash. Also the internal return spring in the switch is noticeably weaker than OEM. I returned it and found and OEM one for about $100. and it worked great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I had to return the chinese switch because the threads weren't cut right to fasten it to the dash. Also the internal return spring in the switch is noticeably weaker than OEM. I returned it and found and OEM one for about $100. and it worked great!
Sorry for the Delay guys. Been busy getting work situated. Did you happen to get the OEM one off of somebody or a website? Ordered from OPGI and although the key tumbler appeared higher quality then any of the aftermarket stuff I've found so far it still seemed to have issues with their ignition switch. I asked them to test a key tumbler and ignition switch and to send me one that works together so I'll let you guys know the results of that when they come back to me.

·
Registered
109 Posts

As I understand it, the new tumblers sold by OPG or The Parts Place won't interchange and need to be modified. You may want to buy the switch and see if the tumblers your buying will work, not sure.
As stated before the OEM switch is superior and worth the extra $.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts