Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

Has anyone taken off the lower front valance from a 68? Does the endurance bumper have to come off to remove the valance? I need to get to repair the broken tabs on the front grills (flappin in the wind!).

Thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
ohhhhhhhhh yah sure have 3 in the last 2 months

so on a 68 ,,, I would
pull the front lenses ,,no prying push the lense with your thumbs to loosen,, open the hood for light ....
pull the blinker housings the 5/16 screws are at the top ... yes its possible to not pull the lense and pull it out in 1 part,, but it can be ruffon the bottom of the lense,,,,
go to the inside of the wheel well ,,, 1/2 inch bolts hold the fender and the valance together ,,,10" extension and 1/2" and go thru the notch hole
between the valance and radiator support 2 1/2" ers up there,,,
a row across the lower rad support and one in the middle by the horns last...
good luck on reassembly ,,,, have help .... may need new slip nuts

Tape your paint off for scratches .... jack the car up a few inches maybe 5 or 6" ....

whats the deal? no lower grill support Z brackets ? or the rubber grommets are gone ? or ?

Scott

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's a lot of fasteners but that's one reason why these GTOs and all GM A-bodies are nice tight cars.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohhhhhhhhh yah sure have 3 in the last 2 months

so on a 68 ,,, I would
pull the front lenses ,,no prying push the lense with your thumbs to loosen,, open the hood for light ....
pull the blinker housings the 5/16 screws are at the top ... yes its possible to not pull the lense and pull it out in 1 part,, but it can be ruffon the bottom of the lense,,,,
go to the inside of the wheel well ,,, 1/2 inch bolts hold the fender and the valance together ,,,10" extension and 1/2" and go thru the notch hole
between the valance and radiator support 2 1/2" ers up there,,,
a row across the lower rad support and one in the middle by the horns last...
good luck on reassembly ,,,, have help .... may need new slip nuts

Tape your paint off for scratches .... jack the car up a few inches maybe 5 or 6" ....

whats the deal? no lower grill support Z brackets ? or the rubber grommets are gone ? or ?

Scott
Thank you Scott. We can always count on your knowledge. Two of the grommets are missing ANS three of the plastic pins that go into the Grimmett’s are broken off. Grommets are backordered. To fix the pins I drilled out were they used to be and ran a 1” bolt (don’t remember the size, but, about the daiameter as the remaining plastic pin) followed by a slightly ground down nut to tighten the pin to the grill. Also have a snapped corner on one grill. Going to try plastic Moodle glue on it unless someone else has a better idea.
While I was at it I pulled the horns that sounded like a sick cow. Hopefully I’ll have the parts by the end of the week and get it back together this weekend.

Found some Rally II’s online that are getting sand blasted tomorrow. Can’t wait to get started painting on those.
Thanks again Scott!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a lot of fasteners but that's one reason why these GTOs and all GM A-bodies are nice tight cars.
Jeff, had a total of five bolts holding it on. I’ve got the full set of replacements on the way. Maybe it won’t squeak as bad when I get it back together (at least that part!)

·
Registered
965 Posts
if you want to send me your horns I will tune and lube em for you

they should wake up if they make noise now..

scott
2o6 4six5 9165

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One is 9000 251 and the other is 9000 and what could be 252. The 251 horn is smaller than the 252 And the markings are in different locations.

Is it possible to remove the mounting brackets without destroying the horns?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts