Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
You are going to have to find a different year tri power intake. I believe the 65-66 intakes will work with the 68 casting blocks, but you may want to try to find one for fitment before purchasing one. 68's only came with 2 and 4 barrel intakes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Pontiac Tripower systems were only built up through 1966. Of the 389 and 421 Tripower intakes, only the 1965 and 1966 systems will directly bolt onto the later model heads and timing chain covers. Complete functional systems are selling for well over $1,000.

Keep in mind that the Tripower systems were used due to the limited airflow on the available 4-barrel systems at the time. With the air cleaners installed, the Tripower system looks great and sounds great, but it does not flow as well as a good modern 4-barrel setup. If you're after nostalgia looks and don't mind the price, the Tripower is very cool. If you want brutal performance at a good price, shop around for a modern 4-barrel system on a Performer RPM manifold. Fact is, three 2-barrel carbs cannot feed 8 cylinders as evenly as a single 4-barrel of the right size.

Also, be aware that there are a lot of junk Tripowers being sold for a lot of money. I've installed and worked on quite a few, and the market price is seeing some real junk being pieced together. Just because a system looks good does not mean it's functional or running well. I've seen everything from warped manifolds to cracked carb castings being sold as "bolt-on" systems. Buyer beware, and be prepared to do a bit of work and tuning if you buy one...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts