Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the correct water pump, and pulley, the 2.5 inch spacer (535253) and correct balde ( 9791346) but the spacer bottoms out on the pump snout before its on far enough to seat the pulley against the pump snout? What am I missing here? It appears that the snout isn't going into the spacer far enough? Thanks

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Is that where my bubble gum went ??

is there a burr on the bore of the hole ?

how fa r out does the shaft protrude thru the fan mounting flange ??

pics of your water pump snout??

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bore of the spacer has what looks like a sleeve about 1/4 of an inch in from the end of the side that slides over the water pump snout that's preventing it from going on far enough to seat fully

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake. I thought it was a sleeve but it looks like it was not bored deep enough to the correct I.D. it only needs to be about .080 deeper to fit properly

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
wow

that shaft is stickin" WAY out there somethin doesnt look right

is that a new AMES repro ? I dont remember seeing one with that clean and sharp casting number

how does your pulley line up with the crank ?

wonderin if the shaft was positioned correctly on assembly ?

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
wow

that shaft is stickin" WAY out there somethin doesnt look right

is that a new AMES repro ? I dont remember seeing one with that clean and sharp casting number

how does your pulley line up with the crank ?

wonderin if the shaft was positioned correctly on assembly ?

x2, seems way to long on the stick-out. Shorten with a die grinder/cut-off wheel and polish up with a grinder. If you drill the spacer, you may oversize the hole or even offset drill it - unless you can chuck it all up on a drill press. You don't want any vibrations as the pin/hole should be tight.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. I only need to remove about .080 from either the pump about, or run a 5/8 end mill down into the spacer an additional .080. thanks guys

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I bought it from Ames, actually it came from Inline tube. Probably the same part from both vendors. I've had great luck with both companies. I contacted Inline well see what happens

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would call an Ames tech. That water pump definitely isn’t right, I have one of these on my car and it doesn’t still out like that

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, actually it came from inline tube. I contacted them and they are checking with the manufacturer. Hopefully have an answer this week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts