Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a problem that i cant figure out yet. I have a 69 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 400 and hei dizzy. Now this weekend i put a new battery in it and before i did this i finally figured out what was drawing down my battery after 2 days.

The only thing i changed was pull all the fuses and install new ones.

Pulled neutral safety switch checked wires and put it back

Rerouted the carb electric choke wire from the ignition 12v wire to the dizzy to my regular 12v wire.

Thats it..car will crank and i can smell the gas. It wont fire

Im getting spark to the spark plugs and with key turn the ignition wire is getting power because my test light comes on.

Why wont car start and prior to me changing battery it ran great no issues and i just drove the car 4 days ago. Dizzy is not loose . Could a bad neutral safety switch be the reason for this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But how? All it was one black wire going to a fuseable link that split out into a red wire that ran to electric choke and to the 12v red wire that connected to the dizzy...But the new set up has no fuseable link and goes straight to the 12v wire from the black one that used to have a fuseable link.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. I checked all the fuses with test light and they light up and show 12 volts..How ever the ignition fuse doesn't lite up with test light or show any volts when key is turned.

I even ran the 12v wire from dizzy to battery and still only cranks when u turn key..dizzy cap is not loose. Neither is the dizzy. It also says 12 volts at the dizzy too

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You have 12 volts to the dist, but is that during cranking?........as points distributors had an ignition switch that directs 12 volts when you hold the key all the way to the right, cranking...and drops to 9 volts at run. You say you are getting 12 volts at dist,...just make sure that is during cranking, not just when key is in the run position.

also you switched to a new battery, many new batteries sit on the shelf for months and although you may have tested it for 12 volts that is not always enough.

12.6 volts is full charge, 12.4 volts is 75% charged, 12.2 volts is 50% charged.......lower is discharged....so saying the battery is new or 12 volts is not necessarily enough to crank....

You always should load test a battery to verify the charge. But charge it with a good charger, then retest. These problems also all happened after you changed your battery and make sure your Battery connections are tight and clean...

good luck and let us know how you do....

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
if your running a 12v straight from the battery to the BATT on the coil cap
then
u should get one of these
it works on everything that runs in your garage off petrol
it blinks with spark current,,
buy a good one like this ,,,, the cable can swap ends for either a 90 or straight into the plug
should fire with straight 12v
running a 68 gto that way right now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts