Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched before posting but need help with this. I have a 69 GTO with a floor console shift, a th350 transmission. The former owner had a B and M shifter that wouldn't work properly and the cable was bent. I have removed it and have a factory shifter I would like to replace it with. The problem I am running into is this: 1. I have bought a new repro cable, and new correct bracket and linkage connection, but when I attempt to hook everything up the way and where I think it goes, and follow the adjustment steps, the shifter will not shift into any of the drive gears. 2. Does anyone have dimensions and measurements of where the mounting brackets for the console should be attached to the floor (no holes are there) ;3. Where the hole for the cable should be at (measurements with a reference point) I have a slight suspicion this may be the problem. The shifter shifts fine when the cable is removed from the tranny, and I can move the linkage through the gears easily when the cable is off as well... Any ideas, hints or suggestions will be appreciated. And I have to get a new cable because I bent my new one while messing with this. LOL Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
This may be what you are looking for. This should be for the TH-350. The TH-400 used the His/Hers floor shifter or column shift. You can see that the shifter is screwed to the floor. Its location is not marked, but I would think you can pretty much guess fairly close based on your console position and the shift cable length.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PontiacJim I have tried to go by that. I was hoping maybe someone had the exact dimensions, seeing as I have many holes in the floorboard and none seem to match where this shifter should be placed. Im not even sure if the hole for the shift cable in the floorboard is in the correct place. So there is my dilemma. Thanks for the reply and help though.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Floor shifter mounting dimensions are same for '69-72 LeMans-GTO.
If no one chimes by Sunday, I can get out and ck one of my partscars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts