Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I accelerate quickly gas leaks out of the tank at the back behind the license plate. I've tried different gas caps and it still leaks. Not drops of gas but a stream. I probably lose a gallon of gas out the back for every full tank. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Check to make sure your vent is connected properly. There should be a flexible hose that connects to the side of the filler neck and connects to a vent tube that goes up above the filler neck, makes a loop, and comes back down. Losing fuel like that on acceleration just about has to be coming from one of three places:
1) Around the gas cap.
2) Through that vent.
3) The filler neck itself is leaking.

Bear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's coming from around the gas cap & I've tried a vented gas cap & I have a non-vented on it now. It still leaks no matter which one I use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The caps I've tried were new. Not 100% sure the filler tube is flat. But I can tell it's coming from the bottom.

·
Registered
440 Posts
These are photos on my '67 vent tube. If you have one, maybe the hose is oof? That would explain it. Very hard to see.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
My car did the same thing when I first got it. It was the vent hose. Make sure it loops up above the filler neck and it doesn't have a hole in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts