Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I put my introduction over in the "General Discussion" under the new GTO section.

Anyways, I have a question. I am thinking of repainting the grill on my 69 GTO black. I see many of them this way and I like it. Was this an option in 69? Maybe just on the judges? If so, what shade of black (gloss, flat, etc) did they get painted?

·
Registered
36 Posts
According to 2 GTO books I have, in the pictures the front grilles are gray not black. I cant find any option list that shows black was offered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jdc916 said:
According to 2 GTO books I have, in the pictures the front grilles are gray not black. I cant find any option list that shows black was offered.
I guess that there are so many around just because guys like the look.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Regular GTOs use a silver over the entire grille. I used the same light silver paint as my Rally II wheels. The paint is avail from Year One. If you have hideaways, then the background on the doors are flat black. Spray them all black first, then tape off all the holes, paint silver. It works great.

Judges use flat black on the egg crate grille part while the outside edges are silver. The hideaway doors are easier to paint for a Judge. Most people that restore their non-Judge GTOs will use the Judge "blacked" out paint sckeme because it is easier to paint than the stock method.

I do not know what "shade" of flat black is used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts