Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 69 Gto and am having a hard time with pinion seal sizes
diff is an 8.2 Pontiac, with a yoke diameter of 1.942 and a housing bore diameter of 2.695, all the listings for this are are for housing bore diameter of 2.766 that's way to big and collapses the seal has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rukee, good thought, housing number is 9799202-cfd- 1969 gto 10 bolt, the cars a 69 Judge with 53000 miles, I have never seen this before, I went up in the catalogs several years and back several years including Chevrolet buick and olds most buick, olds and Pontiacs use the same seal......arghhhhh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Somewhere between 1969 and 1970 Pontiac did a running change to the 10 Bolt rear. Back in the day it was called big bearing or little bearing rears In the old Pontiac parts book they were separated by build date. I have had friends with the same problem. Somewhere in time the new parts books have lost this minor detail, and only list 1 rear. The early rear had the big bearing, the late rear had the small bearing. The seals were different to. The best way today is measure the seal and contact the seal company and get sizes. If the bearings need changing get the Timken number off the bearing and look it up that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts