1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello there,

i need advice for my project.

I'm new to American muscle cars.

I have a small JDM garage in Bulgaria, but I always wanted something big, American muscle car.

It was my choice - 69 GTO matching numbers.

The car is almost disassembled already and it's time to order parts.

The best option for me is to order all the necessary parts from one place.

Everything will go to my transport agent and from there on a pallet, in a container for Bulgaria.

I focused on the option for parts of http://www.opgi.com/gto/ .

They have almost everything I need,
but I am open to other options if you can offer.

My biggest problem is the engine parts. Here I may need good advice. OPGI - cant find there full engine rebuild kit or master engine rebuild kit -
I'm not sure what it's called.

Please if you can help me with the choice of engine rebuild kit and direct me to a good manufacturer.

The idea of this project is to return the car as close as possible to the original.

If, of course, you have other tips, please share them. I repeat, I have restored several JDM cars - Celica ST205,Supra mk3,Supra mk4,Datsun 280z - all of them US imported, but I have never taken up an American muscle car before. So I accept any advice.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
X2 with army, from what I seen looks solid and original even looks like the dealer emblem on the trunk lid. Ames is another supplier on the east coast Pontiac only.But yes I can only imagine the expense of shipping

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
297 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. It looks like it has good bones. Hopefully you can get what you need without to many delays. If you haven't read several items are on back order right now. So sticking to one order may cause longer delays. I had to shop around to find parts in stock many had back orders till fall. Best of luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a hard road ahead. We all do... yours is just even harder, due to shipping. But, it's only money. Butler Performance will have all of the engines and parts.
Yeah, will be Hard road but shipping is not a big issue.... Full pallet to my country is just 600usd

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X2 with army, from what I seen looks solid and original even looks like the dealer emblem on the trunk lid. Ames is another supplier on the east coast Pontiac only.But yes I can only imagine the expense of shipping
Car is super solid.... Floors are perfect,the original paint under the carpet is still there, frame is perfect, trunk is perfect ... The only rust is on rear panels and probably around front and rear glass, but will see after sandblasting

·
Registered
1967 400/400
883 Posts
Yeah, will be Hard road but shipping is not a big issue.... Full pallet to my country is just 600usd
I have many foreign friends and shipping is always an issue. They can't even ship my hot sauce, so I can't imagine shipping a Pontiac 400. However, a 69 GTO is a worthy cause, so like I said before, if you have the money, then why not do it?

Sounds like you could easily go in the mild restomod direction as well. That way it looks all original, but you can modernize a few things to dramatically improve performance, and save a lot of money as well. All original is an admirable course, but if it's not a well optioned/ rare piece and you don't have the original engine (do you? I couldnt tell), then you can save a money and more easily acquire brakes, suspension, interior, performance stuff, and electronics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have many foreign friends and shipping is always an issue. They can't even ship my hot sauce, so I can't imagine shipping a Pontiac 400. However, a 69 GTO is a worthy cause, so like I said before, if you have the money, then why not do it?

Sounds like you could easily go in the mild restomod direction as well. That way it looks all original, but you can modernize a few things to dramatically improve performance, and save a lot of money as well. All original is an admirable course, but if it's not a well optioned/ rare piece and you don't have the original engine (do you? I couldnt tell), then you can save a money and more easily acquire brakes, suspension, interior, performance stuff, and electronics.
Shipping was not an issue.... To find Good, rust free car was hard, but i Did it.
Full shipping price was 3500 usd - from Colorado to my door in Bulgaria includes taxes and duty
This gto is complete original, original engine, original trans - matching numbers 69 gto whit 2 owners, first one till 1989 and then second one till last year.... I am 3 owner. This is the reason will try to restore the car as much as is posible close to the original. Correct me If i am wrong Please.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
883 Posts
About Butlers parts... The one i find is this https://butlerperformance.com/i-316...pereutectic-pistons.html?ref=category:1459563

This one is w/o camshaft

Check some other in ebay - They call them master rebuild kit and includes camshaft and other bits.

Really, dont know nothing about this 400ci and will need advise, just point me the way to go. If it was 2jz engine no issues at all, but this is new to me :)
You really want to call Butler. The price of the call will be a fraction of $600 shipping, and you'll get the best advice that there is. They'll put together a pckage for you, regardless of whether you see it on their site or not.

Personally, I wouldnt generically trust ebay unless it's a reputable Pontiac seller. There are dramatic differences in the quality of bearings, pistons, gaskets, cams, castings, lifters...

It's not so difficult to send a 2300lb Honda down the road with a modified hairdryer motor, but now you're entering into torque land, and a strong Pontiac 400 is going to quickly show you where you shouldve spent more money.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
883 Posts
Shipping was not an issue.... To find Good, rust free car was hard, but i Did it.
Full shipping price was 3500 usd - from Colorado to my door in Bulgaria includes taxes and duty
This gto is complete original, original engine, original trans - matching numbers 69 gto whit 2 owners, first one till 1989 and then second one till last year.... I am 3 owner. This is the reason will try to restore the car as much as is posible close to the original. Correct me If i am wrong Please.
You're not wrong. Under those conditions, yes, I too would restore it to original. And... while most would consider it too expensive to spend $175 to ship a bottle of hot sauce... $3500 to ship a GTO to Bulgaria is cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You really want to call Butler. The price of the call will be a fraction of $600 shipping, and you'll get the best advice that there is. They'll put together a pckage for you, regardless of whether you see it on their site or not.

Personally, I wouldnt generically trust ebay unless it's a reputable Pontiac seller. There are dramatic differences in the quality of bearings, pistons, gaskets, cams, castings, lifters...

It's not so difficult to send a 2300lb Honda down the road with a modified hairdryer motor, but now you're entering into torque land, and a strong Pontiac 400 is going to quickly show you where you shouldve spent more money.
Agree..... Will call Butler for an advise and probably will go with his parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're not wrong. Under those conditions, yes, I too would restore it to original. And... while most would consider it too expensive to spend $175 to ship a bottle of hot sauce... $3500 to ship a GTO to Bulgaria is cheap.
All of my cars came from US, my shipping agent is good, depends on domestic shipping but prices to Bulgaria are from 3200-3500 usd per car.... Those prices are totals includes taxes and duty.... Last year for my FJ cruiser paid 3200usd from NY

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Please reconsider using OPGI. Big fancy catalog but customer service is terrible, expensive compared to the other vendors and parts don't always fit. Ames is much better, plus they're on the east coast. They will work with you regarding shipping. The catalog and website give an honest description of the quality of the parts they sell.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Several good books describing the Pontiac V8 and how to rebuild and / or modify. Pontiac engines have several quirks that make them different from other GM makes. Do not assume that they're like a Chevrolet. Thats why is always best to go with a Pontiac builder.
Butler is good.
Len Williams in Oklahoma; Len Williams Auto Machine
Paul Spotts in Pennsylvania; http://www.spottsperformance.com
Paul Knippen in Illinois; PaulKnippensMuscleMotors

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please reconsider using OPGI. Big fancy catalog but customer service is terrible, expensive compared to the other vendors and parts don't always fit. Ames is much better, plus they're on the east coast. They will work with you regarding shipping. The catalog and website give an honest description of the quality of the parts they sell.

Thanks for the tip
Will check amesperf too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Several good books describing the Pontiac V8 and how to rebuild and / or modify. Pontiac engines have several quirks that make them different from other GM makes. Do not assume that they're like a Chevrolet. Thats why is always best to go with a Pontiac builder.
Butler is good.
Len Williams in Oklahoma; Len Williams Auto Machine
Paul Spotts in Pennsylvania; http://www.spottsperformance.com
Paul Knippen in Illinois; PaulKnippensMuscleMotors
Will check all of them and will pick one to build me full kit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
may you help me decode my fender tag ... try to do it by myself ... and i did it but not at all

thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 35 Posts