Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one knew who sells the accurate speckeled paint for the trunk? Also where whould I find the cloth tape they used to wrap the wires in the trunk? Also who has the most accurate trunk mat?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Judge, have you used the Eastwood stuff? Their description says black/aqua, does it have grey in it too? I need to get some of that stuff too.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Judge, have you used the Eastwood stuff? Their description says black/aqua, does it have grey in it too? I need to get some of that stuff too.
No it does not. The Eastwood stuff is mostly black with aqua spatters. You'll find lots of sources that claim that was correct for 69, but I know better. My trunk definitely was mostly a darker gray background with two-color spatters - light gray (or maybe really small black) and aqua I'm pretty sure - and I'm positive that was the original factory color. I've not seen it anywhere. Interestingly enough, the GTO Restoration Guide (Zazarine and Roberts) doesn't mention the trunk paint colors for 68 or 69.

Be aware that thepartsplaceinc.com also has trunk splatter paint that's less expensive and also does not require clear-coating like Eastwood's does. I'm probably going to use theirs instead.

Bear

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I used Eastwood paints exclusively. Its a top quality product and flows great and very durable.

I have not used the splatter paint my trunk was already done when I got the car. Eastwood has a tech staff that will aid you. If you are painting the trunk may as well get the correct color combo.

Ames and others sells Eastwood paints.. I deal direct with Eastwood.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
^+1

Eatwoods stuff is top notch and "tough". I really like the results I get from thier products. I also used thier engine paint, hard to believe they can put so much paint in one little can.

My trunk paint looks awsome but you can't see much of it, I've got a 45 gallon :eek: polished stainless fuel cell in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No it does not. The Eastwood stuff is mostly black with aqua spatters. You'll find lots of sources that claim that was correct for 69, but I know better. My trunk definitely was mostly a darker gray background with two-color spatters - light gray (or maybe really small black) and aqua I'm pretty sure - and I'm positive that was the original factory color. I've not seen it anywhere. Interestingly enough, the GTO Restoration Guide (Zazarine and Roberts) doesn't mention the trunk paint colors for 68 or 69.

Be aware that thepartsplaceinc.com also has trunk splatter paint that's less expensive and also does not require clear-coating like Eastwood's does. I'm probably going to use theirs instead.

Bear
Ya I have to agree! Mine is all original and mine looks like charcoal grey with light grey speckels and its just on the floor with overspray all around it! The main reason Im looking to paint is im replacing the old mat because of water damage! Wich remindes me does any one have any tricks on sealing the trunk lid so the new stuff doesnt get messed up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts