Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original wiper motor worked for me the first time but when I turned it off, it would move the blades up and down about 3". I surmised that the motor was trying to home. I pulled the connectors while inspecting and the motor fell apart.

I replaced my wiper motor with a new(rebuilt) from Ames. Connected the transmission and guess what. You guessed it, same thing. I have read that I need to make sure the motor is in the "park" position before connecting the transmission. What is the procedure for parking the motor. Currently the motor shaft moves in a circle instead of rotating (yes there is a difference) rotation vs. oscillation. In addition, I have checked the ground and added an extra ground.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Original wiper motor worked for me the first time but when I turned it off, it would move the blades up and down about 3". I surmised that the motor was trying to home. I pulled the connectors while inspecting and the motor fell apart.

I replaced my wiper motor with a new(rebuilt) from Ames. Connected the transmission and guess what. You guessed it, same thing. I have read that I need to make sure the motor is in the "park" position before connecting the transmission. What is the procedure for parking the motor. Currently the motor shaft moves in a circle instead of rotating (yes there is a difference) rotation vs. oscillation. In addition, I have checked the ground and added an extra ground.

Any help is appreciated.
I am going to say that you want to cycle the wiper motor on/off using the wiper dash switch without the wiper arms installed. This will allow the wiper motor to shut off/stop in its "parked" position and put the splined shafts that your wiper arms attach to in their correct position. Then install your wiper arms. The term "park" is simply where the wiper arms come to rest when the wiper motor stops.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to say that you want to cycle the wiper motor on/off using the wiper dash switch without the wiper arms installed. This will allow the wiper motor to shut off/stop in its "parked" position and put the splined shafts that your wiper arms attach to in their correct position. Then install your wiper arms. The term "park" is simply where the wiper arms come to rest when the wiper motor stops.
Thanks so much for the quick response. Ill try it first thing in the am.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the quick response. Ill try it first thing in the am.
Update: I cranked the car, started the wiper motor on high and let run for 5 seconds (found time to park in Cardone service bulletin) and then shut it off. The motor continued to oscillate like it was trying to park. Never stopped until I shut the car off. Not sure this puts it in park and looking for next suggestions.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Does the switch ground with a wire or with contact to the dash? Do you have instructions for removing and checking? Thanks.....
This is probably of no help to you because mine in a '68 with knobs and I believe '69 is rocker switches. However, there may be a similar type grounding set-up.

You can see the thin metal strap/ground in the lower left. The wiper switch and headlight switch pass through the hole in the strap/ground to make contact with it. Then you see the nut that attaches the strap/ground to the metal gauge pod to which it gets its ground from.

You may have a similar ground, or some form of a wire ground, but you should have a ground somewhere. Send a message to BLK69JUDGE as the '68-'69 cars are his specialty and he will know how it is set up and how to pull it apart if need be. You may even have a bad switch and he most likely will have one for purchase.

DSCN9428.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
There's a metal bracket behind the switch that screws to the dash, switch, and instrument housing.

From the 69 assembly manual

C4C2EA20-CC3D-4437-8F3D-FE6B0B112435_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is probably of no help to you because mine in a '68 with knobs and I believe '69 is rocker switches. However, there may be a similar type grounding set-up.

You can see the thin metal strap/ground in the lower left. The wiper switch and headlight switch pass through the hole in the strap/ground to make contact with it. Then you see the nut that attaches the strap/ground to the metal gauge pod to which it gets its ground from.

You may have a similar ground, or some form of a wire ground, but you should have a ground somewhere. Send a message to BLK69JUDGE as the '68-'69 cars are his specialty and he will know how it is set up and how to pull it apart if need be. You may even have a bad switch and he most likely will have one for purchase.

View attachment 143374
Thanks for your help. I will reach out to him.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
knock knock ..........
sorry ,,, I sold a Chevy truck this afternoon and was working on a customer s bill on a 68 rag top
just sittin down with a barley pop and a bbq hunk of rosemary smoked fresh king salmon ,...
has your dash ever been apart that you know of ?? the little jumper ground often gets left out or lost,,,

see the red oval and just above it it says w/s wiper switch and the line goes up to a ground strap... that one

that one is often missing ... that ground can be real moody ,,,, there is even a GM revision with a 3" WIRE with
U shaped brass ends was used to improve the ground... I have pulled them off a few 69's but not all had the revision
I may have the wire ,,, but I think Im out of switches
until this 69 SJ GP gets here in a week ,,, from out of state,,, I will be parting that loaded turd out ,,,
also is the ground strap at the "1of3" wiper motor rubber mount 5/16 bolts ..hosting clean area for a ground ?? to your cowl ??

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
knock knock ..........
sorry ,,, I sold a Chevy truck this afternoon and was working on a customer s bill on a 68 rag top
just sittin down with a barley pop and a bbq hunk of rosemary smoked fresh king salmon ,...
has your dash ever been apart that you know of ?? the little jumper ground often gets left out or lost,,,

see the red oval and just above it it says w/s wiper switch and the line goes up to a ground strap... that one

that one is often missing ... that ground can be real moody ,,,, there is even a GM revision with a 3" WIRE with
U shaped brass ends was used to improve the ground... I have pulled them off a few 69's but not all had the revision
I may have the wire ,,, but I think Im out of switches
until this 69 SJ GP gets here in a week ,,, from out of state,,, I will be parting that loaded turd out ,,,
also is the ground strap at the "1of3" wiper motor rubber mount 5/16 bolts ..hosting clean area for a ground ?? to your cowl ??

Scott
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
So the ground at the rubber mount was an issue because after changing the motor out my Generator light came on. I doubled back and re grounded it. Light is off.
I do have a new switch coming but would be willing to buy the ground strap from you. Thanks in advance....Scott S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts