Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching did not help so hoping someone can clear this up for me. Did the 69 Judge come with a 10 or 12 bolt rear and posi or not?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Had a 68 as a kid and now looking to consider a 69 Judge, but want to get informed as much as possible to know what looking at when I visit some since there are so many clones out there. I understand you can do the official check but before I go to that step, I want to eliminate what I can. Suggestions for a check like. I know you can look for the larger torsion bars on the trunk, but any others?

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Only way to be sure its a real one is to have the PHS.
10 bolt 3:55 POSI was pretty much standard but there are some variations the PHS will confirm what any particular car would have had.

If you are not educated on what a Judge was to have, having someone go with you that is versed in them would be highly beneficial.

You can also attend shows and take pictures of the engine bay underneath and study the pictures then compare to ones you are looking at.

If you are looking for a concourse one then you may want to attend points judged concourse shows. There is a lot of mix and match out there. Some plants did things different from others. For example the inner fenderwell flaps: Some flaps were installed showing in the engine bay most others are installed in the wheel-well itself. Some have the staple heads showing in the engine bay while others have the heads in the wheel well. Same with colors of some bolts. It depends how nit picky you want to get.

Be careful looking at pictures on Ebay and comparing those pics to a check-list. Your best bet is to attend a concourse event and talk with owners while taking pictures of proper parts.

Keep in mind also you are buying a set of numbers NOT parts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really looking for a specific show car. Just loved my 68 and IF I could find it, I would buy it back in a NY minute as it has sentimental value (was my wife's brothers car bought new by her dad and then I bought it from him and I still have the window sticker, protect-o plate, manual, etc.). But since I can't, I always wanted The Judge so would like to check that off the bucket list so to speak. My current factory car (08 Vette) is much faster than a factory Judge ever dreamed of so it's not about racing, handling or speed either. Just a thing I would like to do, but not into spending what it takes to play the show circuit. So I'm starting the getting educated process.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I thought thats the way it was Bear.

Not really fair comparing a '98 Vette to a '69 Judge in performace. My '05 GTO has more snot to it too and with greater MPG lol, technology advancements.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
There are some knowledgable 'fakers' out there who know what people are going to be looking for when trying to figure out if a GTO is really a Judge --- even to the point of altering/switching vin tags. It just depends on who you're dealing with and how much trouble they're willing to go to. If having a verifiable, real car is important to you then take as many precautions as you can to validate that what you're looking at is the real deal. However if it's mostly "for yourself" to enjoy and not something you're necessarily looking at for investment/resale purposes, then as long as you're happy with both the car and the deal -- then it was a good one. :)

Bear

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2008 not 1998. Yea 4.2 in the 0-60 vs 8, 9, 10 or what ever it would be really isn't fair but the old ones feel a lot faster than they really are and are way cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts