Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question for you transmission guys out there. Yesterday it was about 9 degrees when I left work. First gear went alright, although it seemed like the shifter was a lot "tighter" (which I attribute to a cold tranny). I pushed in the clutch, went to go back into second and got a nice "grinding sound" kind of like the clutch didn't fully dis-enguage.... I re-clutched and it went in, though not really too smooth. I could kind of feel the gear teeth as I put it into gear. Similar deal with going into 3rd, but no grinding.. just a feel of not having the clutch fully "in" when I had it pegged to the floor. This has happened a few times when it's been cooler out, but I really noticed it yesterday.

On a side note... I always thought it was better to go around a corner in a higher gear if it was slick out, but the monster torque this car has broke the rear end loose this morning. It made for a fun 360 an no need for a coffee to wake me up!

G

·
sounds like the hydraulic fluid may have not allowed the clutch to fully disengage from the flywheel making it more difficult to change gears and causing the grinding noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same prob here as well. I will leave my car parked in gear, after I start it I put it in N. Then when I'm ready to go and go for first it's a pain to get to go in.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I have all the same problems with Reverse as well... usually just put it in 4th, let the clutch out just enough to move the car then it goes into R, I have had it actually pop out before as well. I'm thinking I might have to put some RP in the tranny and maybe rear end as well.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
The_Goat said:
Yea I have all the same problems with Reverse as well... usually just put it in 4th, let the clutch out just enough to move the car then it goes into R, I have had it actually pop out before as well. I'm thinking I might have to put some RP in the tranny and maybe rear end as well.
great choice. i just dont have the $$$$$ to do it :willy: can i have a loan

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine makes the same sounds. Get better as it warms up. Just put in the Amsoil synthetic and it really doesn't help in the cold. Now once its warm, then its really smooth. I always leave mine in first gear and have had no further problems with getting it into gear when cold, even reverse. We had -12 this morning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I usually just go through the gears with the clutch in and then go to reverse but it still is'nt that easy. Maybe I'll just leave it in reverse at night because I have to back out of the driveway anyway. Just kidding its not all that bad most sticks I have had were a little rough in the cold before they warm up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
SilverGoat said:
Mine makes the same sounds. Get better as it warms up. Just put in the Amsoil synthetic and it really doesn't help in the cold. Now once its warm, then its really smooth. I always leave mine in first gear and have had no further problems with getting it into gear when cold, even reverse. We had -12 this morning.
It might not feel like it is helping, but the pour point of the AMSOIL ATF is below -60F and in the temps you are seeing, I'm confident it is providing much more wear protection to your tranny than the stock fluid was. :cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Didn't mean to offend, Subdriver. Love the Amsoil as it is so much smoother when warm and I'm sure wear protection is better at all temps, just that I still get the grinding and sensation that something isn't letting loose completely when its cold.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.