Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 70 lemans sport convertible it's orange with black buckets. 350 w /automatic trans. Runs great.

My question is this... the 350 runs so good and its a comfy car to drive and I do drive it everyday. I plan on cloning a gto with it and wanted to have a lil more beef under the hood. Not a 455 but could a 400 be built and still be a good daily driver maybe with a 700r4 with a 323 gear?

I want to be able to drive a long distance and enjoy it. does this make sense?

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I recently bought a 70 lemans sport convertible it's orange with black buckets. 350 w /automatic trans. Runs great.

My question is this... the 350 runs so good and its a comfy car to drive and I do drive it everyday. I plan on cloning a gto with it and wanted to have a lil more beef under the hood. Not a 455 but could a 400 be built and still be a good daily driver maybe with a 700r4 with a 323 gear?

I want to be able to drive a long distance and enjoy it. does this make sense?
A stock or mild build 400 with the 700r4 and 323's will get decent mileage. You could even entertain a gear ratio in the high two's with the 700 and retain decent performance with better mileage for freeway speeds.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
There are so many clones out there. Be original and leave it a Lemans. Is it numbers matching? If so, leave it alone. Just a thought.....:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am planning on doing the same thing but first check the front fenders of a 70 LeMans and 70 GTO to make sure they are the same. Studying photos of a 70 LeMans front fender and 70 GTO I noticed differences. Look at the channel in the LeMans fender where the chrome bumper wraps around. I can clearly see this channel on the 70 LeMans in my shop. On a GTO fender I do not see this channel instead I see a side marker. The question is will a GTO bumper look and fit good on a LeMans fender? Keep in mind the LeMans fender has the channel for the chrome wrap around bumper.

Does any one have a answer for this?

BT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts