Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 GTO with rally gauges. To make this story short I will not go through all the problems I have had and get to the main problem. I had the gauges out of the
pod and soaked it in vinegar to de-rust it. The gas gauge was bad and I had it rebuilt. The temp gauge worked fine but after putting it all back together the temp gauge pins to HOT as soon as I turn on the key. I have a brand new printed circuit also. Does anyone have a picture of the back of the gauges with the printed circuit off? There are four terminals in the temp gauge and there is an insulator going under three of them. I don't know if I have it on the correct three. PLEASE HELP! I'm going crazy with issues with this dash.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Have not personally encountered the pegging hot situation, but sure sounds like an incorrect sending unit problem. Have several sets of original '69-early 70 rally gauges boxed up, will be over tomorrow moving parts. Will try and pull the boxes out, they are in boxes & tubs yet to be moved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can't be the sending unit. The gauge worked until I took it out and reinstalled it. I didn't touch anything under the hood. I have a feeling I have the insulator in the wrong position. The temp gauge is the only gauge with one. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts