Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to put headers on the car. Problem is that for now I need to go cheap. Meaning used. Been seeing lots of "Pontiac" headers listed, but seldom what cars they fit. So, my question is headers from what cars will fit mine?
I have a 350 and a TH 350 trans. power steering, no ac or power brakes.
Also, I have seen some ads stating "Chevy/Pontiac"?

Thanks,
Russ

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
No headers fit Chevy and Pontiac. Most headers for Pontiacs fit all, but none good.. I would do other mods first, save up and get a good set of application specific headers, patience now..
:agree For headers to be effective, they need to be matched to the engine and also to the rest of the exhaust system. If you're going to keep the 350 pretty much as is, then that's one thing. But if you're going to be "stepping up" later, then my opinion is that putting headers on it would be a waste of money. If you get a set matched to the 350 they won't be "big enough" for a larger/hotter motor later and you'll have to replace them, so that'd be money thrown away. If you're just looking for a more authoritative sound for now, if it were me I'd just replace the mufflers.. It's really up to you though...

Bear

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that was one reason I need to go cheap/used right now. Cheap meaning well below $100.Car needs an exhaust anyway to get it legal. Has single exhaust and I don't want to put any money into replacing that.
So other than that, can anyone give me an answer as to what will fit? Or I guess I can just go to Summit's site and start cross referencing all the mid 60's to mid 70's pontiacs. Was hoping to avoid that, but guess it will give me something to do tomorrow night at work. :)
Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
173 Posts
Russ,

Anything that "fits" '68-'72 GTO with "d-ports" will fit your LeMans.

Agreed with Bear. You could always install a "true duals" system, and later, cut the head pipes to fit your new headers. Don't succumb to the "cheaper is better" idea. It isn't. Patience will produce the car you REALLY want.

Jim

·
Registered
686 Posts
I put 2 flowmaster 40's, 17 inch 304 stainless rolled and slash cut tips, and 2 1/4" pipes from the manifolds out the back, at an exhaust shop for 250 bucks. I got the mufflers and tips from ebay for around 80 bucks. It took a couple months looking but I got the mufflers in the tube size I wanted, the in and out in the configuration I liked. Plus the 304 tips the way I wanted them. I called around and hit a few private owned shops till I found some one that would do it for a reasonable price $170. I dropped off the truck and parts went and got lunch came back and it was a very top notch job. You can get it done well and cheap if you do some leg work.

If you have to have headers then you have to have them. For me though a nice sounding well put together exhaust system and some nice tires and rims are better money spent and makes the car well worth driving around. Add a good tune up, carb rebuild, fix leaky gaskets, and spry bomb the engine and compartment, can take a car from crap to week end cruiser with little money and time involved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts