Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, mine has gotten a little worse. But I can hear it at a bunch of different speeds, not just the 40-50 that people usually report. I actually noticed it was louder at 80 the other day on the interstate. I guess I'll take it in, but I am sure I'll get the "its normal" routine because none of my friends can hear it hahaha (its beginning to bother me though). I have 3600 miles on mine.

G

·
OK, how are most of you guys breaking your cars in? There is about 12 of ya that have posted about the rearend whine problem. Has a definite answer been found as to why some cars have the problem and others dont?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
big_mike said:
OK, how are most of you guys breaking your cars in? There is about 12 of ya that have posted about the rearend whine problem. Has a definite answer been found as to why some cars have the problem and others dont?
I have 700 soft miles on car. Very soft. I havent beat this thing at all. After coming out of a car that did 152mph. in the qtr., what would be the sense. :lol:

G

·
never know! I drove my 98 like a new baby and the motor popped on me, 1000 miles out of warranty. It was later determined, in 2001 mind you, that there was an oil pump failure problem in the 98's and GM wouldnt reimburse me for my MTI rebuilt motor.

So your case is a genuine one, now to get the others to answer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
johnny,
saw you this morning as you were approaching the toll, i was going the other way and honked. off to the train it was for me. the other board has a bunch of threads that address the rear end whine. i think this one does too. thunk in the trunk is one of the search terms.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's not a matter of people "breaking" their goats. There has been an answer....bad rearends! I had mine replaced @ 1,700 miles under warranty. Supposed noisy Dana pinions is whats making the noise in these Goats. GM knows about it and SHOULD replace w/out hassle.

G'luck :cheers

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pennsylvania Goat said:
It's not a matter of people "breaking" their goats. There has been an answer....bad rearends! I had mine replaced @ 1,700 miles under warranty. Supposed noisy Dana pinions is whats making the noise in these Goats. GM knows about it and SHOULD replace w/out hassle.

G'luck :cheers
Well I have an appt. for 11/28. Lets see how receptive they are.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
498 Posts
GTO_400 said:
Don't know if it's the same or not, but I have noisy clunk,,clunk sound at slow speeds when I disengage the clutch, almost like the rear gears have slack in them or something:confused

Nope...not the rear.

That's drivetrain slack. Mine has it too. As far as I know....no known fix.

G

·
Actually, there is. You can have the preload on your gears tightened and get stronger u-joints for the driveshaft. It is impossible to cure ALL drivetrain slack but you can make it better.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My point was that there isn't a dealer/manufacturer-fix to the noise like there is for the rears. The rear's have been proven to be defective.

Sure, you could make the slack go away with an investment of the parts you mentioned.....then again you could also make it a 10 second car w/ an investment.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
big_mike said:
Actually, there is. You can have the preload on your gears tightened and get stronger u-joints for the driveshaft. It is impossible to cure ALL drivetrain slack but you can make it better.
Unfortunatly for all GTO owners with stock driveshafts... we don't have the fecking luxury of u-joints... we are blessed with wonderful chunks of fecking rubber! Yep, that's right... RUBBER chunks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.