Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna start my own thread here to track my progress on my restoration.

Here she is shortly after I bought it. This is exactly what it looked like.

Here are the first stages as she sets right now.

Front left cowl drain. We fished out probably 3-5lbs of dirt, leaves, and sand with a coat hanger before we even began to tear it down. This was causeing major rust and water to drain into the drivers carpet.

Already ordered the outter patch for this ^ from Ames.

Wish me luck as I know nothing about these old cars, and Ive never done body work before. My friend and neighbor have though and are advising me and lending a hand.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yeah its pretty solid, rust is minimal. 90% of the rust is the furtherest panel to the rear under the seat, and the front left lower cowl panel. (the cowl panel is what Im working on now.) I have the outter area removed, POR-15 the inside area this evening, just waiting on the replacement from Ames to show up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Ames seems to be the hold up now. Ordered a part and they waited nearly 2 days to ship the darn thing. Tracking says it should be here monday. Not much progress today, took 1 hood hinge off blasted it and POR-15 on it. Got that crap all over me and it dont come off! Rest of the day basically a clean up the shop day.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I called the company I ordered them from. They were easy to deal with. It was not their packaging. It was UPS that crushed the box. But anyhow the rep I talked to was actually trying to find a warehouse near me so I could just pick some up but there wasn't any. He finally just knocked $80 off what I had paid because the area that I really need which is the lower portion was not damaged and I can still use these to fix the problem area. Just lucky to have some 70-72 quarter patches.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drivers side cowl repair. Complete!
Got it all welded up. Ground the welds down. Applied 3m seam sealer. (stuff is so thick I don't see how they call it brush on seam sealer). Then applied POR15 to it all.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got 1 quarter panel patch installed very late last night. Turned out great. I manily drilled spot welds, flanged the edges and punched holes for the new sport welds. My neighbor thats been helping did the fitting and welding for me. Looks like its gonna be a good piece. Fit was pretty good.

Then this after noon I rolled it in the driveway and degreased the underside of the body. Will finish that up tomorrow and begin POR15 on the underbody.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts