Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin for just the right car for a LOW budget street/strip build. Don't need a GTO. A regular Ventura or Lemans will work just fine. Might also consider a '77 GP, and a '77-'78 Catalina or Bonny.

I'll be using my 455/TH400. Would like to find a running driver, that mostly just needs a good engine/trans, and maybe a cheap paint job.

Can't use a rust bucket or somebody's disassembled project. Not looking to do a full resto. I don't have the skills for that, nor the money to pay for it. Just wanna swap in my engine/trans & drive down the road. So, something running/driving, with a 350 or bigger Pontiac engine will save me some time/work.

Prefer a 2-door, with roll-up windows, and an 8.5 rear end. Don't want a vinyl roof. Won't consider anything with T-tops or a moon roof.

Might go as high as $5k, for the right car.

Prefer something within 500 miles of North Louisiana. Might consider going a little farther, for just the right car.

I've been scanning CL, RJ, FB Pontiac sites, and lots of other sources. Have found some good possibilities. But most all were too far from me. Would cost near $1000, and some even more, to have shipped.

Any of you guys know of something that might fit my description ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Whew, that’s quite a order, might look to your neighbors to the west, Tx, Az, etc. cars to the north of you are going to have rust, not saying it’s not possible to find something but 5k or less is going to be a little tough as well, ( IMO ). I’m sure someone might have something out there, it’s hard to find good older cars these days.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are just a few I found online, just to give ya'll an idea Of what might work for me.

This 1st one is a downsized '77 Bonny 2-door. Asking price is $6k.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1977/pontiac/bonneville/100984504#

Here's a '76 GP, without a vinyl roof. $4900 O.B.O.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1976/pontiac/grand_prix/100994898#

Here's a '77 Lemans for $2900. But ad says it has rust under the vinyl roof.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1977-pontiac-lemans/6611834492.html

Here's an '81 2-door Bonny. Could make a real sleeper out of this one. But, most of these big cars have power windows which I don't like. Have had problems with the PW in every used vehicle I owned that had 'em. And, it won't have a Pontiac engine. So, each different model has pros & cons.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/d/1981-pontiac-bonneville/6617862074.html

I'd even consider a 4-door, in some models. Here's a '77. Does have a 301, but also has PW. Seems that there are quite a few real clean 4-doors out there. Hey, I could just think of it as a crew cab. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Pontiac-Bonneville-/273312974466?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

·
Registered
212 Posts
I guess I miss understood what you was looking for, I was thinking you was looking for a muscle car style, those few you posted wasn’t quite what I pictured on what your looking for. My bad 😞

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I miss understood what you was looking for, I was thinking you was looking for a muscle car style, those few you posted wasn’t quite what I pictured on what your looking for. My bad 😞
Yeah, the reason I'm not lookin for a Musclecar is price. There are too many guys out there trying to make a few bucks flippin those cars. So, since I'm on a real low budget, I'm looking to do a sleeper type build, using a cheaper, non-Musclecar type body.

I, like most others, would prefer something a little more sporty. I'd really prefer a '69 GTO, or a '77-'78 Bird body. But, clean examples of those cars are WAY out of my price range. Those in my range are real rust buckets.

Except for the Cam Am, I really don't like the '73-'77 A-bodies. But, they do have the 8.5 rear, and most have a 350 or bigger Pontiac engine.

I do sorta like the downsized A-bodies, beginning with the '78 models. And, I like most of the X-bodies. Also like the 2-door, non-vinyl top downsized Cat & Bonny, beginning in '77. Don't really like the downsized GP. But, there are lots of 'em out there. So, I could live with one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lookin for just the right car for a LOW budget street/strip build. Don't need a GTO. A regular Ventura or Lemans will work just fine. Might also consider a '77 GP, and a '77-'78 Catalina or Bonny.

I'll be using my 455/TH400. Would like to find a running driver, that mostly just needs a good engine/trans, and maybe a cheap paint job.

Can't use a rust bucket or somebody's disassembled project. Not looking to do a full resto. I don't have the skills for that, nor the money to pay for it. Just wanna swap in my engine/trans & drive down the road. So, something running/driving, with a 350 or bigger Pontiac engine will save me some time/work.

Prefer a 2-door, with roll-up windows, and an 8.5 rear end. Don't want a vinyl roof. Won't consider anything with T-tops or a moon roof.

Might go as high as $5k, for the right car.

Prefer something within 500 miles of North Louisiana. Might consider going a little farther, for just the right car.

I've been scanning CL, RJ, FB Pontiac sites, and lots of other sources. Have found some good possibilities. But most all were too far from me. Would cost near $1000, and some even more, to have shipped.

Any of you guys know of something that might fit my description ?
Hav buddie now in wheel chair seems he has a gran prix...??? Wil hav to ask him
Near Lansing Michigan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts