Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all Im running the 442 in my 73 GTO, the 400 ci with the quadrajet carb, I was looking at switiching to a edelbrock 4 barrel but my neighbor who is more intuned with older cars sais that the Quad is a way better carb. Any advise?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Indeed, if it's set up properly, the Q-jet is the better choice. Look into getting the one you have rebuilt and you'll be happy.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
More often than not, the biggest problem with any QJet will be the 'last guy who worked on it' --- who was trying out his brand new subscription to the 'secret trick of the month' club and thought he could "fix" all the "well known problems" with the carburetor.

Set up properly with all internal systems working like they were designed to, that carb is very tough to beat on a street engine. The only real limitatiions they have are the 800 cfm "ceiling" which makes them insufficient to adequately feed large displacement, high rpm, high horsepower race engines, and the small fuel bowl which makes having an adequate fuel delivery system of prime importance.

Bear

1 - 5 of 5 Posts