Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Holden said:
Worked on a nice 82 Corvette with CFI this wk. Don’t want to offend any Corvette owners but I’m so glad I drive a GTO and not an 82 Corvette.
What exactly didn't you like? Remember thats a 24 yr old car. Can't compare the two. How do you feel about a new corvette vs the GTO. Personally I like the GTO better.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ironmancan said:
What exactly didn't you like? Remember thats a 24 yr old car. Can't compare the two. How do you feel about a new corvette vs the GTO. Personally I like the GTO better.
Was making work related joke. Il let you know soon as I drive new ZO6

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's absolutely no comparison... At least my '68 has a chance at keeping up with the GTO in a straight line (not really), but the '82, no friggin way. 200 HP max in the engine? That's half the HP of an 05/06. Vintage Corvettes are good for one thing: turning heads. They may have been performers in their day, but 30-some years of technology makes a world of difference in fit, finish, handling, power, comfort and just about every other technical aspect. I don't want to bash the older Vette's too much, but there really is no comparison... As an owner of both, I definitely prefer the GTO to the Vette any day, again with the exception of the "looks" category. My Corvette will turn more heads than my GTO ever will.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Having owned a C5 Z06 and a C6 Vette and a GTO, I'd take the GTO over the C5, but they are close. The C6 is better than the C5 and I like it better than my GTO. If you can live with 2 seats the C6 is incredible. It's faster and gets better mileage. It handles better and rides slightly better. You can also open the roof. It has more storage space. It also costs more, but IMO you get enough extra stuff that if you don't need the seats and you don't mind the entrance into it the C6 is the way to go if you can afford it.

Now the 82 is a different story. I have always loved the look of the 81-82 Vette's. Appearance wise that is one of my favorite cars. But the ride is horrible and the handling definately does not match todays cars. They were also prone to rattles and leaks from the T-tops. I will at some point probably own one, but it will be a garage and car show queen that rarely gets driven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.