Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I test drove a '99 C5 Vette auto and I was impressed. I've heard people say who used to have a auto C5 that their '05 GTO A4 feels much faster. My question is how do you think the C5 auto would fare against a '05 GTO A4?? I plan on getting a GTO and I wonder if they'll be a seat of the pants difference??

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's really all a drivers race. For the most part both cars are equal.

The GTO has more power and somewhat better shifting.

The vette is what? a good 500 lbs lighter?

The GTO however is a nicer car compared to the C5. I mean in terms of how comfortable it is and all.

But yeah, it's mainly a matter of whoever is driving it... mostly how well they can launch cause we're talking about auto's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
RiceEater said:
It's really all a drivers race. For the most part both cars are equal.

The GTO has more power and somewhat better shifting.

The vette is what? a good 500 lbs lighter?

The GTO however is a nicer car compared to the C5. I mean in terms of how comfortable it is and all.

But yeah, it's mainly a matter of whoever is driving it... mostly how well they can launch cause we're talking about auto's.
Yep, driver's race; reaction time etc. Hp to weight should be similar. At higher speeds the vettes better aerodynamics will come into play, and the vetter will handle better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
diverdan said:
Yep, driver's race; reaction time etc. Hp to weight should be similar. At higher speeds the vettes better aerodynamics will come into play, and the vetter will handle better.
True.....But I like that extra 600lbs at 150+ :cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
diverdan said:
You do know that the GTO has the same aero as a C5.

·
Registered
204 Posts
How long B4 a troll finds this post and drags all his buddies here to tell us how much better and faster their vette is?

Try using the search function.....this has been done to death :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got back from the last open road race with my 05 GTO. The C5 Vettes and 05 GTO run virtually wheel to wheel in the 1/2 and mile shootouts. Coming in in the different speed classes is purely driver dependent. A good driver can take either car and kick your a$$ on the open road course.

The C6 Vettes are faster, a factor of weight, but not that much faster.

Automatics are easier to launch and actually faster 0-60. If you like rowing through the gears, fine, get a 6 spd. I think the auto is actually a better choice for some applications.

I have owned 7 Corvettes, this is my first GTO. In my opinion it is a better all around car, much nicer to travel in.

No car is perfect, including the GTO, but it is SERIOUS value for the money.

Goat Boy

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 05 GTO (auto) ran a better ET and trap speed than my 98 c5 coupe (auto w/3:15 gear). Now, I did hear than the 99 and up c5's ran a little better due to some computer tweaking in the later c5's.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I Stall Automatics said:
An experienced manual driver can pull 0-60 faster than anyone just pressing the pedal to the floor in an automatic on two otherwise identical stock vehicles.
From one experienced manual transmission driver to another..... Guess Again.

Look at all of the top drag cars they are all automatics. A proper auto will shift faster and at the right time, plus you never miss a shift in an auto. Now if some goof-ball thinks he can shift the auto in his car better than Hal, well all bets are off.
The real key is getting a good auto that doesn't sap power. Fords suck. Gm's aren't bad, but could use 5 or 6 speeds. The imports are all better as an auto 5-6 speed than a manual 5-6 spd.
I still get more enjoyment out of a manual, but it is getting close to the point where the auto will be better and more fun.

·
Registered
937 Posts
fergyflyer said:
From one experienced manual transmission driver to another..... Guess Again.

Look at all of the top drag cars they are all automatics. A proper auto will shift faster and at the right time, plus you never miss a shift in an auto. Now if some goof-ball thinks he can shift the auto in his car better than Hal, well all bets are off.
The real key is getting a good auto that doesn't sap power. Fords suck. Gm's aren't bad, but could use 5 or 6 speeds. The imports are all better as an auto 5-6 speed than a manual 5-6 spd.
I still get more enjoyment out of a manual, but it is getting close to the point where the auto will be better and more fun.
Oh! You would have nailed it, save the last 3 words. The auto may be faster, and much more skilled at putting the power to the road than us mere mortals but it is definatly not more fun. Its the whole reason I got the manual. You cannot replace the banging around of gears man. I would not trade my 6 in for an auto simply because it can do it better than me. I drive my car 99% of the time and drag race 1%, the only arguable area where there is a benefit of having the auto. In this time where we have a crisis of fuel costs, I will take the fuel savings and let you auto boys beat me by 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile the 1% of the time I drag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts