Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my C5 Z06 to work today for the first time. A guy I work with has a 63 Split Window Sting Ray 2 owner car with 37,000 miles and a very rare automatic, a 69 Chevelle SS that has a modern suspension and a 12.1 compression 454 that makes over 500 rwhp and a 87 Grand National that is in the 500 hp range. I convinced him to bring one of those rides in and I brought the Z06. He picked his Chevelle. No we didn't race. The cars did look great sitting side by side though.

On the way in a car came up on me pretty quick. I moved over and let him by. As he went by I realized it was a Roush 427E. He slowed hard and got beside me. I heard him downshift so I did the same. I picked 3rd at 55 not an ideal spot to start off at. He beeped 3 times and we both hit it. He pulled a half car to 70 and then I lit the afterburners and flat out just smoked him. By 120 I had 5 cars plus on him and was really starting to open things up. I let off at that point. He beeped an waved.

Little further along I ran into a Challenger SRT8. We were on a new tollway they built and it has no traffic and 3 nice wide lanes. We went from a 70 roll, at 100 I had 4-5 cars on him. I let off and he came by and hit the flashers like he won. I came back to even with him at about 85 and he hit it so I did too. I thought this time he's getting taught a lesson. I let off at 158 (gotta love the HUD) and had about 20 plus car lengths on him. I hit my flashers this time.

On the way home on the new tollway I got on as a 03-04 Cobra vert was rolling past. I was accelerating as I was beside him and I think he thought I wanted to race. He must have been stock because he hit it first and I left it in 4th from 60 or so. He never opened more than a car to a car and a half on me and by 103 mph we were even and by 135 I had 4 plus cars on him. Nice guy and it was the Mystichrome color that is definately neat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Little further along I ran into a Challenger SRT8. We were on a new tollway they built and it has no traffic and 3 nice wide lanes. We went from a 70 roll, at 100 I had 4-5 cars on him.
Geeze, lots of action out there. 55/60mph is better for the SRT-8s. He should have known better but it wouldn't change the fact he would lose.

Was it a stick btw?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geeze, lots of action out there. 55/60mph is better for the SRT-8s. He should have known better but it wouldn't change the fact he would lose.

Was it a stick btw?
55-60 any mph he wanted to race unless he was heavily modded he was toast.

Couldn't tell if it was a stick, he wasn't beside me for very long and I didn't focus on him. I just watched the HUD and shifted and glanced in the mirror as he dropped back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
55-60 any mph he wanted to race unless he was heavily modded he was toast.

Couldn't tell if it was a stick, he wasn't beside me for very long and I didn't focus on him. I just watched the HUD and shifted and glanced in the mirror as he dropped back.
Of course. A head/cam car with a stall would be needed to make it close. But what speed did you two start at?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course. A head/cam car with a stall would be needed to make it close. But what speed did you two start at?
We went from 70 -100 and I opened up about 4 or 5 cars on him. I slipped it into 6th and just kinda relaxed and he did the ricer fly-by and threw on his flashers.

Then we went from about 85. I let off at 158.

Did you read my post at all????

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot. At 85mph, was it any better than the 70mph hit (before he gave up)?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, forgot. At 85mph, was it any better than the 70mph hit (before he gave up)?
It wasn't a fair start at all from 85. He was a car and a half ahead and hit it before me. I was in fourth and that's pretty close to the right gear for that speed, 3rd only has another 5mph. So I guess that was another advantage for him, I was at the bottom of my powerband not the middle.

I don't remember the exact speed that I came around him at, maybe 100 or 110, somewhere in there. Once I got to 130 he was back aways and by the time I was over 150 he started to drop like a rock and may have let off.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
It sure is nice dominating. :cheers I had a few runs/beat downs yesterday, one a 4th gen Formula 350 Firebird, another a '65-'66 Stingray Conv. , and the other a C4 Vette. The 'Bird was from a dig, and the two vettes were highway pulls. Interestingly I opened up more carlengths on the C4 than the Stingray. But I was real proud of the Formula 350 victory, I know those are no slouches, and have somewhat of a weight advantage over the GTO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts