Pontiac GTO Forum banner
141 - 160 of 193 Posts

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I have to ask what you consider to be doggy. I'm running a wide ratio Muncie in mine with 3.23 rear gears and it'll light up the tires at 40 mph in 3rd gear. Personally, I like some distance between gears but that may just be me.
My third gear is 1.46 so it doesn't light up the tires but it gets going decent at WOT but I can't remember what mph.

· Registered
7,355 Posts
So why is that I'm curious and so what would your choice be if I had or would be getting a 5 spd to have a super fun driver because I'm not changing the rear anymore so I would suffer a little now for the better future.
If getting a 5-speed in the future, depends on your OD 5th gear. My TKO 600 is .64 - so 3.89 gears with a 29" tall tire is the ticket. Forget about the argument that 1st gear will be a waste - yep it will, but should be great when creeping along is stop/go show traffic and easier on getting the car rolling. Tire size should be added to the equation as it will change the rear gear depending if you go tall or short on tire height. Go 30-31" tall, you may want 4.10 gears. Go 26" tires and 3.73 may be better.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Talking about OMT....hope he is doing ok.
Talking about OMT....hope he is doing ok.
PM'ed OMT in Oct. Said he is hanging in there, but that covid had threw him for a loop. He mentioned a severe loss of energy, but he is doing well. I also mentioned to him, to come join us sometime when he is feeling better. Just thought I would mention it, since I came across this post.

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
If getting a 5-speed in the future, depends on your OD 5th gear. My TKO 600 is .64 - so 3.89 gears with a 29" tall tire is the ticket. Forget about the argument that 1st gear will be a waste - yep it will, but should be great when creeping along is stop/go show traffic and easier on getting the car rolling. Tire size should be added to the equation as it will change the rear gear depending if you go tall or short on tire height. Go 30-31" tall, you may want 4.10 gears. Go 26" tires and 3.73 may be better.
I'm sticking with 28" tires and thinking the 2.87 first gear and .68 fith gear, so the 3.73 would work good. The next gear available in the Dana is a 4.10, I don't think that's going to be a good choice.

· Registered
513 Posts
So why is that I'm curious and so what would your choice be if I had or would be getting a 5 spd to have a super fun driver because I'm not changing the rear anymore so I would suffer a little now for the better future.
the 3.55 with 28 inch tire and 4 speed is a good combo. but if going 5 speed 3.73 may be close to the same. depends on what you like. it was just my opinion.

· Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
5,241 Posts
PM'ed OMT in Oct. Said he is hanging in there, but that covid had threw him for a loop. He mentioned a severe loss of energy, but he is doing well. I also mentioned to him, to come join us sometime when he is feeling better. Just thought I would mention it, since I came across this post.
I reach out to him periodically. He always answers, but not quickly, and it's usually brief. He really helped me out, back in the day.

· Registered
7,355 Posts
I'm sticking with 28" tires and thinking the 2.87 first gear and .68 fith gear, so the 3.73 would work good. The next gear available in the Dana is a 4.10, I don't think that's going to be a good choice.
The 4.10 would probably be too much even with the OD gear. The 3.73 would be my pick.

The Tremec calculator says TKX 1st gear, 2.87, 3.73 gears, 28" tire will give you 43 MPH @ 5,600 RPM's so 1st gear should be doable. Then on the highway, the OD/3.73 would be comfortable (2150 RPM @ 70 MPH) and you should be able to hit 183 MPH which is plenty enough to outrun the State Police Hemi Chargers which can see 160 MPH. ;)

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
The 4.10 would probably be too much even with the OD gear. The 3.73 would be my pick.

The Tremec calculator says TKX 1st gear, 2.87, 3.73 gears, 28" tire will give you 43 MPH @ 5,600 RPM's so 1st gear should be doable. Then on the highway, the OD/3.73 would be comfortable (2150 RPM @ 70 MPH) and you should be able to hit 183 MPH which is plenty enough to outrun the State Police Hemi Chargers which can see 160 MPH. ;)

Well that sounds good, but until the 5 spd it's going to be a dump truck and no Power Tours, thanks.

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
So getting back in my lane here I had another thought on the gear ratio, since I've found out I should be around 2000 rpms cruising at 70 mph with my cam I was thinking that most of the driving speed is 40-60 mph so here's a couple of scenarios with the 3.54 and 3.73. My question is am I going to just be using 4th gear and hardly get into 5th unless I'm doing 70 ? Maybe I'm missing something which wouldn't surprise me.
Font Pattern Parallel Monochrome Document

Font Mesh Wood Net Pattern

Font Pattern Parallel Tints and shades Wood

Font Pattern Parallel Wood Document

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
So here's a better calculator that shows rpms through the gears, four with the 3.54 and four with the 3.73. Not much of a difference but the 3.73 still looks good and if I don’t use 5th until I'm really cruising 4th is still not over revving things. Sorry if I'm over thinking things but I want to get the best possible gear because I ain't changing it. Sorry they got out of order.
Font Display device Electric blue Electronic device Multimedia

Font Display device Electronic device Electric blue Number

Font Display device Technology Electric blue Electronic device
Font Display device Technology Electronic device Electric blue

Font Display device Electric blue Parallel Multimedia

Font Display device Electric blue Electronic device Multimedia

Font Electronic device Display device Electric blue Number

Font Electric blue Display device Technology Multimedia

141 - 160 of 193 Posts