Pontiac GTO Forum banner
161 - 180 of 193 Posts

· Registered
7,355 Posts
So here's a better calculator that shows rpms through the gears, four with the 3.54 and four with the 3.73. Not much of a difference but the 3.73 still looks good and if I don’t use 5th until I'm really cruising 4th is still not over revving things. Sorry if I'm over thinking things but I want to get the best possible gear because I ain't changing it. Sorry they got out of order. View attachment 159775
View attachment 159772
View attachment 159777 7
View attachment 159770
View attachment 159776
View attachment 159774
View attachment 159771
View attachment 159773
3.73's look like a better pick.

· Registered
7,355 Posts
In your opinion why do they look better?
I don't like the RPM numbers with the 3.54 at the lower speeds. Several seem to be at a point where the gear is either kinda high on the RPM or a bit too low and lugging. Top end, 70 MPH at 2150 is fine and not much more than the 3.54's. With the 3.54's at 70 MPH, anything lower and going up hills and you will be down shifting more and riding 4th gear at a higher RPM.

Just my opinion. Bottom line is you have to decide. Your engine has a lot of torque, so you can pull the 3.54's at 70 or above. How often do you plan on cruising at 70 MPH and how far? Seems your aim is more towards performance and I think the 3.73's would be the better choice for you. the 3.54's around town might be a little sluggish and I don't think you will see OD very often and defeat the purpose of the OD.

I have the 3.89's figuring most of my driving will be cruising around town and locally. Don't really expect to be running up on the highway very much, but if I do, the OD will help and I can take advantage of it. I want acceleration on the street.

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I don't like the RPM numbers with the 3.54 at the lower speeds. Several seem to be at a point where the gear is either kinda high on the RPM or a bit too low and lugging. Top end, 70 MPH at 2150 is fine and not much more than the 3.54's. With the 3.54's at 70 MPH, anything lower and going up hills and you will be down shifting more and riding 4th gear at a higher RPM.

Just my opinion. Bottom line is you have to decide. Your engine has a lot of torque, so you can pull the 3.54's at 70 or above. How often do you plan on cruising at 70 MPH and how far? Seems your aim is more towards performance and I think the 3.73's would be the better choice for you. the 3.54's around town might be a little sluggish and I don't think you will see OD very often and defeat the purpose of the OD.

I have the 3.89's figuring most of my driving will be cruising around town and locally. Don't really expect to be running up on the highway very much, but if I do, the OD will help and I can take advantage of it. I want acceleration on the street.
That's what I was seeing too, glad I got everyone's opinion as I would have never guessed I would want a 3.73, funny that's what was in my '67 back in the day except my 19 year old dumb ass used a ring spacer to stuff a 3.73 into a 10 bolt...but I never had it fail even with a .30 over 428 and a tri power but then again I didn't have the tires I do now 😉

· Registered
7,355 Posts
So the Strange Dana S60 rear end is ordered, 3.73 cogs and I broke down and ordered the drum brakes....I owe I owe it's off to work I go 😉
You will think you are a kid again. Wife won't see you from 9PM Friday night 'til 2AM as you will be cruising the "ave" running down rice burners, LS, and hemi cars. Do you have a savings plan for tires or stocks in a rubber company? Lawyer on speed dial? LOL

(y)

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
If anyone has a special order at Summit be sure and ask for Elain she's in charge and really went out of her way. First she said shipping was free even for the size and weight which I couldn't believe and that's why I was ready to pick it up at Strange, then she said I couldn't use PayPal for the 12 month free financing but I sweet talked into it. Then in the evening I realized I forgot to add gear lube to the order so I left her a voicemail and she calls me back at 9pm, says it's to hard to add it to the order so she orders 4 qts. from Summit at no charge and says Merry Christmas!!! The world needs more Elaine's 👍

· Premium Member
1,068 Posts
If anyone has a special order at Summit be sure and ask for Elain she's in charge and really went out of her way. First she said shipping was free even for the size and weight which I couldn't believe and that's why I was ready to pick it up at Strange, then she said I couldn't use PayPal for the 12 month free financing but I sweet talked into it. Then in the evening I realized I forgot to add gear lube to the order so I left her a voicemail and she calls me back at 9pm, says it's to hard to add it to the order so she orders 4 qts. from Summit at no charge and says Merry Christmas!!! The world needs more Elaine's 👍
You musta showed her your breathers😉

· Registered
1,490 Posts
I've always gotten great service from Summit. Been ordering from them for many years.

Congratulations on the new rear. I've tossed around replacing mine but am hesitant. Right now the 1 wheel peal is probably keeping me from breaking a lot of other things.

· Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
I've always gotten great service from Summit. Been ordering from them for many years.

Congratulations on the new rear. I've tossed around replacing mine but am hesitant. Right now the 1 wheel peal is probably keeping me from breaking a lot of other things.
Well I have a 12-bolt for sale complete with brakes and Strange axles, nice cover and upper arms, 1350 yoke, all it needs is a carrier and gears, and it's narrower than yours for some big meats...how about a road trip 😉 seriously though Idk what a good price is to start at for it.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts