Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the hell do I change the battery in my remote? I thought it was the two screws, but that's just to hold the key to the remote. How do I pop this sucker open, and what battery does it use?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken the screws out and the key falls out. The remote is still clamshelled together. I can't find a pry point to pop the two halves apart.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tried taking it apart just playing with it, but I couldn't figure it out. Didn't want to break it, I am sure that it is expensive to replace.:confused

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This isn't good news...
Originally posted: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

***clipped for relative info***

Security system: This car has a well thought out, state of the art, security set up. There are the standard remote keyless entry buttons on the key. The ignition key will also work the driver’s door (there is no lock cylinder on the passenger side), but there is a separate key for the glove box, and no lock cylinder for the trunk. You can program the remote to unlock either the driver’s door or both. The ignition/door key is a curious looking “stick” integral with the remote transmitter with some grooves carved in the key surface. There is a transducer in the ignition key that sends a coded signal to the computer to open the door(s) and allow starting. If the wrong key is stuck in the ignition, the vehicle is disabled by the computer until the correct key is used to re-enable the system, or if a door lock cylinder is turned without the proper key or remote signal, the car is disabled. One downside is that the battery that powers the key transmitter is non-replaceable, and you must purchase a new key after the life expectancy of about 5 years. The manual says it costs more than a normal key, but I haven’t gotten a price on one yet. Two keys come with the vehicle. The only way this car will be stolen is to steal the key first, or drag the whole thing up on a trailer with a winch, and my insurance premiums happily reflect this. Insurance savings alone should pay for new keys in five years if you still have the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I bought mine the Salesman told me they were non-servicable and cost around $150.00 ea. That kinda hurt...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Platinum-plated titanium nitride laser-etched keys?

Cadsbury said:
When I bought mine the Salesman told me they were non-servicable and cost around $150.00 ea. That kinda hurt...
I heard it was $300, but if what I heard was for a full "set" of two, then $150 each might be dead-on.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C5ORGTO said:
That correct its about $150 for a new key, and key fob, but I'm sure you can replace the battery.
Let me know if you figure out how to open the damn thing. I was thinking about trying to *mod* the thing to use a higher voltage battery to increase signal strength.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love this forum. I did a search under "keyless" and the first hit was the identical subject I was looking for...

Anyway, after only one year my keyfob is so weak that I have to be standing right next to my car for the signal to work. Of course I attempted to replace the battery last night with the same findings as the earlier posters....no battery access!!!

This is rediculous! At least on my 96 Formula I could periodically clean the contacts inside the keyless as they got dirty many times before the battery actually died.

Anyway, I just converted over to my backup keyfob and am temporarily satisfied. However, GM is high if they think these are going to last 5 years. Even if they did $150/fob every five years is absurd. Unbelievable.

If anybody finds a way to the battery let us know.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was trying to find some more info on this and went over to ls1gto.com and found this thread.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51759&highlight=key+fob+battery

But the really interesting comment was #17 in the thread:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpost.php?p=783593&postcount=17

I am sending an e-mail to the guy to ask if he watched them do this and how they broke apart the case on the fob. I'll let ya know when he replies. Or if you have had success breaking open the case let me know.

Monica

·
Registered
195 Posts
gto_lady04 said:
I was trying to find some more info on this and went over to ls1gto.com and found this thread.

I am sending an e-mail to the guy to ask if he watched them do this and how they broke apart the case on the fob. I'll let ya know when he replies. Or if you have had success breaking open the case let me know.

Monica
Wow! $9, that sounds fair.

Since switching to my backup keyfob I've realized its range is really no better than my 1yr used one, so the range on these must just be poor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since I'm notorious for losing stuff, I ordered a spare key just to have, and the dealership couldn't cut the key on-site. They had to special order the key from GM using your security card# that's usually with your owners' manual. The key fob, remote and two screws set me back roughly 180 bucks. The guys at the parts dept were amazed because not even the Corvette has these security features. BTW, ask your Parts Dept guy for a printout of the programming instructions should you go this route.

·
Registered
176 Posts
gto_lady04 said:

Monica

Got e-mail back he had it done at Muller Pontiac in Highland Park,IL. He did not watch them do it. But if one dearler can do it for $9 then they should all be able to.

And wouldn't this answer the Q's about popping the case open?????

Or maybe make a phone call to Muller's Pontiac Garage.

Monica

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gah! One of my remotes is dead. Less than 11K miles on it. Would it still be under warranty?

·
Registered
479 Posts
shouldn't it be possible to only order the remote instead of the whole key. the dealer shorted me my key to lock my glove box and they accidently ordered the ignition key and it came in two pieces so try asking for just the remote.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts