Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PS bracket(pictured) has a gasket on the back that ,in part, covers "those holes" on the front of the drivers side head.
The smog pump bracket also has a gasket that covers " the other hole on the passenger head.
ok...........a hose from the "spaceship" looking AIR thingy goes into a passage on each bracket.
This would seem to do nothing. since both brackets rears are fully enclosed by gaskets
My wife father who owned the car complained endlessly about this smog crap.
I do not know if he delibertly covered the mating surfaces to "those holes"
Do the space ships hoses need to be allowed to be connect to "those Holes" in the heads? :willy::willy::willy:
thanks as always

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
The hose does connect to the smog pump at the rubber end, and the metal ends with the check valves in them need to be attached to the AIR bracket inlets. The gaskets should have a hole to allow air into the passage of the head.....are you in CA??

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car and I are from CA , but we reside in WA state.
So the gaskets of both sides are supposed to allow air into both heads?
the gasket on the bracket on the drivers side completely covered that hole....
what are those holes for Uncle Gee?
thanks as always

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
The holes are there to allow air from the air pump to enter the cylinder heads to add oxygen to the exhaust gas to allow it to burn more completely. If you were in CA, that equipment would still be required to be on the car, even though '67's are no longer in the Smog Check program. In WA, you probably can do without it if you don't have all the pieces. If you have the complete system, you should install it. You may want to surf the 'net to get an emissions diagram for your car, or I may have one at work. I'll check when I get time....

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Gee, I'd appreciate that
:)
BTW, the brackets gasket on the passenger side has holes for the gasses to enter "that hole.
So this AIR thing is just adding air to the burned exhaust gasses?
seems like a scam.lol

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Thanks Gee, I'd appreciate that
:)
BTW, the brackets gasket on the passenger side has holes for the gasses to enter "that hole.
So this AIR thing is just adding air to the burned exhaust gasses?
seems like a scam.lol
Pretty much.... I think A.I.R. stood for Air Injection Reactor --- or something like that. The idea was that adding additional oxygen to still very hot exhaust would support enough after-combustion to remove additional unburned gasses from the exhaust, even after it left the engine.

Bear

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know I am going out on a limb here but..... I have a "friend" that has "ported" a catalytic converter for a 80's car that would not pass emissions and after the liberation the car barely had any emissions. A well tuned up and maintained car will run clean even with out cats and A.I.R. Japan as tough emission laws. They had to put cats on cars to be imported to the USA even though they passed the tougher Japanese emissions with out them. It is just some feel good bush hugger trinkets.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Bear hit it with an excellent explanation. The added oxygen "re-ignites" the rich, unburned exhaust gases. Oxygen is needed for combustion, and the added o2 re-ignites the unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust, resulting in cleaner tailpipe emissions. It works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts