Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked in earlier with our 1969 400 4 spd GTO. It has junk heads on it and a two barrel intake. Obviously the original engine is long gone. I see locally there is a 1971 455 YC short block with casting 66 heads for $500. Would this be a better route than beheading the current 400 and finding more appropriate heads and intake for it? I don't want a pooch, but don't need to be the fastest car in town either. I want something that fun to drive with enough oomph? to scare the new mustangs and cobra's running around here.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Number 66 heads are the biggest chamber heads Pontiac ever made at 114cc. Not a performance head, but good for a 455 on today's pump gas. Building a 400 block based engine with a stock or a stroker crank is a better option. A 400 block is stronger than a 455 block, and has better oiling to the main bearings and is less prone to bearing failure. My vote would be the 400 with a stroker crank and some decent heads. If Bear chimes in, you're in luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Number 66 heads are the biggest chamber heads Pontiac ever made at 114cc. Not a performance head, but good for a 455 on today's pump gas. Building a 400 block based engine with a stock or a stroker crank is a better option. A 400 block is stronger than a 455 block, and has better oiling to the main bearings and is less prone to bearing failure. My vote would be the 400 with a stroker crank and some decent heads. If Bear chimes in, you're in luck!!!
Wow, what an intro... :D
I agree - if you're interested in making power a stroker 400 (461 or more) is a great idea (of course I have to say that, that's what I did :D). It's true that 400 blocks are stronger than 455's and oil better. I don't remember your other post where you said you have "junk heads", so forgive me for asking which heads they are? The real pro around here is Mr. P-Body. He's built more bullet-proof Pontiac torque monsters than anyone I know of.

Bear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts