Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about this lets take a 1966-1970 GTO not a show car but one in need of restration and shove an Ls2 in that we be good cross between old and new and would solve the tire problem big time.

Tell me what yall think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its a good idea, but most of the guys that own any 64-74 GTO currently would actually say "Hell no, no chevy motor is going in my Pontiac!"

Personally, I would say its okay for someone else to do it, but I won't. Here's why:

1. Chevy engine in a Poncho
2. The extra 50-100ftlbs of torque(depends on motor) in the old stock compared to new stock.
3. I learned on a carburetor.
4. IMO an old motor has more potential for overbore and stroke for more power N/A.
5. Blowers are the same price, and the old carb blower will add more % power compared to a magna or pchrgr.
6. I think the carb "look" is better.

But that's just me. :D And I am sure someone somewhere is doing the transplant as we speak (if it hasn't already been done).

·
Registered
569 Posts
There is a guy in NY with an LS1 in a 57 Chevy- really sweet car, can drive it anywhere too :).

I personally love new power plants in old cars- you get the power, reliability, gas mileage and ease of tuning with the classic Muscle Car look!

As for superchargers making more on a traditional carb setup- no way- not with setups being equal. You do have the opportunity to go with a 12 71 or some other monster though- but they aren't the most effecient either. Other than that, put a P1 on a fuel injected LSx motor and on a stock 350 small block and see which one runs stronger :). Only thing the small block has over it (I just realized I am talking Chevy though, not pontiac :)) is better head clamping at higher boost levels and easy parts accesss (though parts are everywhere for LSx's too now). The head design alone on the LSx is much, much better than a traditional small block head.

I've had them all- muscle cars, late models, Fords, Chevy, Mopar (I wish I still had my 71 Cuda 340 Convertable :(), Imoprts, etc. and out of all of them, the best bang for the buck comes from the LSx motors and the 4G63 Mitsubishi 2.0 Turbo. They both respond ridiculously well to mods with the 4G having better response with less parts needing to be changed. I dunno, I guess that is just where my experience has left me.
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
hehe- I should have added- I learned on a carburetor also. I remember the days of "yanking all this computer controlled crap out" to just put an intake and 4 barrel on stuff- not any more, I have since done conversions the other way-carb to EFI. Once you learn it and it's capabilities, there is no going back :).
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.