Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my '01 Corvette in August of 2000, I chose the new-for-2001 Quicksilver color. I usually buy a bottle of touch-up paint just to have around, but when I called my local Chevy dealer and gave them my car's paint code, the color they had in stock was masquerading under another name--some lowly, dull name for the silver used on Impalas.

Turned out it was the very same paint, of course. The Corvette had just borrowed the already-existing Impala color and jazzed up the name.

Now that I have an Impulse Blue GTO, I'm wondering if I haven't seen this color somewhere else. It sometimes reminds me of the Electron Blue used on Vettes, but of course I haven't seen the two side-by-side. They'd probably look radically different if I did.

Anyway, the color code for Impulse Blue Metallic is 24U WA938 J. Just out of curiosity, I called the parts department at a nearby Chevy dealer. They didn't have the paint in stock, but the computer did refer to it by the correct Impulse Blue name. Dang! I was kinda hoping I'd uncover a vast paint-naming cover-up, and that there was a Saturn out there somewhere tooling around in my GTO's blue paint.

Anybody know if this color appears elsewhere in the GM lineup?

·
Registered
674 Posts
When I got touch up for the Aurora's "Sterling" i got a tube with a complete different name.

When I got a can of dupli color to paint the plugs I put in the trunk over the spoiler holes I picked a GM silver because quick was not listed. It is about as close a match as I could want for $3. it was dupli color #503 i think.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I had my banchee hood installed I found out that the Torrid Red paint was very hard to match up. It was the right paint and matched the paint code, but had a little more of the orange tent. Of course a little fade job on the fenders did the trick and now you can't tell at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
GM Kid said:
When I got my '01 Corvette in August of 2000, I chose the new-for-2001 Quicksilver color. I usually buy a bottle of touch-up paint just to have around, but when I called my local Chevy dealer and gave them my car's paint code, the color they had in stock was masquerading under another name--some lowly, dull name for the silver used on Impalas.

Turned out it was the very same paint, of course. The Corvette had just borrowed the already-existing Impala color and jazzed up the name.

Now that I have an Impulse Blue GTO, I'm wondering if I haven't seen this color somewhere else. It sometimes reminds me of the Electron Blue used on Vettes, but of course I haven't seen the two side-by-side. They'd probably look radically different if I did.

Anyway, the color code for Impulse Blue Metallic is 24U WA938 J. Just out of curiosity, I called the parts department at a nearby Chevy dealer. They didn't have the paint in stock, but the computer did refer to it by the correct Impulse Blue name. Dang! I was kinda hoping I'd uncover a vast paint-naming cover-up, and that there was a Saturn out there somewhere tooling around in my GTO's blue paint.

Anybody know if this color appears elsewhere in the GM lineup?
The paint used for the GTO is made by a company in PA. P P & G. I believe other Gm products use other companies. Being the GTO being made in Ausytrailia might be using a differnt company. IMO

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I hate GM paint names!!! Try being on the other side of the counter when a customer comes in and asks for a touch up paint, gives you a name for the paint, and then you come back from the parts warehouse with the same color and a COMPLETELY different name!!! Man this stinks! Most customers either laugh it off with confusion or yell at me for GM's stupidity, being a parts man is so wonderful :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
The bright blue on the Cavalier is somewhat similar to Impulse Blue, but I haven't seen any other cars with the exact same color...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.