Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, long time no see. It's been like 2 years. LONG 2 years.

Last I checked in I was in the early stages of a restoration on a 69 Custom-S (Marilyn). Well shortly after starting the engine work we got some very bad news, the family home I'd inherited, the same home who's garage now housed Marilyn was falling down around me, major foundation issues and the garage slab (yea the same garage slab Marilyn was resting upon) was sinking and cracking apart. We got to the bidding process on the work and realized we were in for several 10's of thousands of dollars of work and unfortunately no one would loan on the house to get the work done since the foundation was not structurally sound.

We were sad. We might have even cried a little. Ok maybe a lot. :cryin:

So we had to make some really tough choices, including but not limited to selling Marilyn. :nopity: We considered just selling off the house to a "we buy ugly houses" kind of thing and just starting over somewhere else but this house has only been titled to our family since it was built in 59, plus you just can't replicate the neighborhood we live in. It's like a park and well, property values are sky high right now, we had to figure out how to get this house fixed.

Fast forward to April/May 2014 the foundation work is complete, the new garage pad is poured, new plumbing, new A/C, new water heater, new furnace, new siding, new windows .... blah blah blah. The house she is fixed. :party:

I am even considering expanding the garage out to a 4-car. But that's for another thread. The day the garage got poured my wife and I sat and talked about Marilyn, it's the first time we'd discussed it since we watched her roll off on the flat bed. We had completely avoided any and all "hot rod" discussions, much like when someone dies, we just didn't want to think about it. We both lamented having gotten rid of her and decided now that we were through the woods we wanted to give it another go. Fast forward to May 31st, there was a Pontiac tribute day at the Bass Pro here in KC. We went and reconnected with a couple of the local guys we hadn't seen for a long while it was super cool. We also looked at some sweet ponchos from 64-74 and after seeing a representative model from each year (save for 73) the wifey decided 68 was her favorite year. (Certainly I have a soft spot for 68 GTO's, it's the first Pontiac I ever owned)

This time around I think we'd like to start closer to the end of the rainbow, something we can make ours but not start from scratch, something we can drive and take to cruise nights and work on as we go.

So I guess the moral of the story is ... anybody know where we can get a decent 68 GTO? :D

PS - I really missed you guys just didn't have the stomach to look at Pontiacs for a while there, it hurt to much.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This one belongs to a buddy of mine - 72 Lemans sport vert (dressed as a gto)

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Glad you're back on track. '68 GTO's are very reasonable right now. My advice: by the best one you can. I missed out on a cherry all original '68 about 2 years ago for 12k.....the car needed nothing. Don't be in a rush....that gets spendy. Hold onto your cash, and start beating the bushes. You should be able to get a really nice driver for under 20k.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad to hear the house came together. A for a 68, I would get a 15 footer and enjoy cruising in it. While you do so, make a list of what needs to be done and when you have the budget you can make alterations towards improvement with minimal downtime...

This is for Matthew, just do not get a "me too" vedoro green 68 lol. :reddevil:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear the house came together. A for a 68, I would get a 15 footer and enjoy cruising in it. While you do so, make a list of what needs to be done and when you have the budget you can make alterations towards improvement with minimal downtime...

This is for Matthew, just do not get a "me too" vedoro green 68 lol. :reddevil:
Yea that's what we're looking for - a cruiser. Something that needs finishing not a frame off. :D

And my first 68 was Verdoro .... do 68's come in other colors besides Verdoro Green? :rofl:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
They made about 3 of them in Nightshade green. Much easier to find one in Verdero Green, which is killer when done correctly. I always wanted to build a '65-'67 GTO and do it in Verdero Green with a Parchment interior. With Hurst wheels and redlines. But I'm kinda strange............

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They made about 3 of them in Nightshade green. Much easier to find one in Verdero Green, which is killer when done correctly. I always wanted to build a '65-'67 GTO and do it in Verdero Green with a Parchment interior. With Hurst wheels and redlines. But I'm kinda strange............
Naaa not strange at all. I like Verdoro as well, and I love parchment interior with any dark color. I am sad I've never owned a goat with parchment. Always black.

If we find one that's in the shape we're looking for, color will be secondary unless it's a special car. I'm willing to do a factory color combo if it's a high option or weird combo, otherwise I will probably put parchment interior in along with a custom color on the exterior.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and warm welcome back. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts