Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Z28 with all the boltons and it is loads of fun. I may not be able to keep it if I get a GTO. (Wife HATES HATES HATES did I say hates it). It is loud with full headers no cats and dynoed to about 360 flywheel.

Will I be happy with a GTO? Or should I get a used Corvette? Anybody in the same situation?:confused

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The wife probably feels embarassed riding around in it because she feels like it's some kind of high school kid car. Who knows, maybe one of her friends chirped about something like that and ruined things for her (and you).

Anyway, between the Vette and GTO. FergyFlyer here has owned both. He loves his Vette. He could give you the +/- on each.

I think a new GTO's a wonderful compromise. Great performance. Four seats in a pinch -- and pretty much equal trunk space. It's a good looking, refined car. To me, it's a lot more comfortable because of the upright seating position -- and because the seating position is up higher, your wife won't feel like she's forced to give everybody free beaver shots every time she gets out wearing a skirt.

Drive both cars by yourself. See if you like them. Then take her along and ask for her input, too. Because if you don't, you'll never hear the end of it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Actually, she may not like it because it is loud and not comfortable for her. The GTO interior is probably a little bit nicer (and newer) and not as noisy so she maybe ok with it.

Have you asked her why she doesn't like it? That might give you some indication on if it's that particular car or if it's something else...

just my .02!:D

BTW...sorry about the long absence guys, I had a lot of stuff at work happen but it's good to be back...missed you all!:party:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, my wife b,b,b'd about me getting a GTO.
Guess what? She stole it from me.
I now only get custody on the weekends and tomorrow is Saturday!
Get the GTO and you may suffer the same fate!

Actually, I'm pleased to finally have a hp car that we both like.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just do like I did,go to the dealer,make a deal,bring it home.At first she was POed but now she love's it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Unfortunately, the Z28's have a reputation as kind of a ******* car. Maybe that's what's bugging your wife. I actually tried to buy a late model Z28 convertiblel before I bought the Goat, but couldn't reach an agreement on price.

I think you and your wife will like the GTO, and as someone said, the back seat is there if you need it.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
The wife probably feels embarassed riding around in it because she feels like it's some kind of high school kid car. Who knows, maybe one of her friends chirped about something like that and ruined things for her (and you).

Anyway, between the Vette and GTO. FergyFlyer here has owned both. He loves his Vette. He could give you the +/- on each.

I think a new GTO's a wonderful compromise. Great performance. Four seats in a pinch -- and pretty much equal trunk space. It's a good looking, refined car. To me, it's a lot more comfortable because of the upright seating position -- and because the seating position is up higher, your wife won't feel like she's forced to give everybody free beaver shots every time she gets out wearing a skirt.

Drive both cars by yourself. See if you like them. Then take her along and ask for her input, too. Because if you don't, you'll never hear the end of it.
what he said

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have to agree a lot with the things that were posted above. You'll probably need to find out why your wife doesn't like the Z28, but some guess possibilities include the noise, possible boy-racer looks (if you put any body kits or exterior mods on it), that she thinks it compels you to drive too fast/uncarefully, or that it has too much of a younger driver/teenager image for her (may bring back memories of bad dates in high school or whatnot).

In those cases, either a Corvette or GTO (unmodified) may possibly be easier for her to accept. It will depend on her personal tastes. The sleek lines of the Corvette (which is usually associated with older people than a Camaro) may be appealing to her. Or she may like the closer-to-a-family-car looks of a GTO. I think a GTO would probably be easier to get away with.

Depending on her personality again, you might have her test drive the Goat--she might take a liking to it. The Corvette sits lower, and if she doesn't like the lowness of the Camaro, she may not be so inclined to drive the 'Vette. Of course, if she is one of those people who freak out over even a 150 hp car as being "too much", then forget her liking either after a test drive. :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
CrabhartLSX said:
i'd put headers with no cats on the GTO first day i got it if i were in your situation. What you do with your car is none of her business.
I've read this book! It had two different titles! One was "How to lose a wife", and the other was "How not to drive your car after your first emissions inspection".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She just hates everything about it. We are shopping cars for her as well and go figure she does like the GTO.

She hates the lowness, the speed, the handling (lots of mods), the sound the smell, the the look, and the $ I have spent on the fbody. I think she may hate the color and the blue book value as well. It is just that car.

I don't know what to say. I don't think she will like a vette. I mentioned it was more refined and I got a cold laugh.:confused

·
Registered
569 Posts
Doodad said:
She just hates everything about it. We are shopping cars for her as well and go figure she does like the GTO.

She hates the lowness, the speed, the handling (lots of mods), the sound the smell, the the look, and the $ I have spent on the fbody. I think she may hate the color and the blue book value as well. It is just that car.

I don't know what to say. I don't think she will like a vette. I mentioned it was more refined and I got a cold laugh.:confused

Sounds like my wife- only person I have ever known to say "eew, don't get a vette- they're ugly" she dislikes my 98 Z28, but likes it more than a vette so I get to keep it lol. She also refers to the GTO as "that red suppository parked in the garage" :). But then she wants to get a Legacy outback- talk about poor taste- I guess that's how she ended up with me :cheers .
Joe

·
Registered
115 Posts
well wife hates the z28 you like the power . well enough said get the gto. best of both worlds. as for a vette goes the gto is basicaly a vette that u can put 4 people in and will smoke c5 vettes. ask me not a hard desition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.