Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Very cool! Looks to be in excellent shape! Did you inquire about it?

I spotted a round Pontiac neon sign (excellent shape and appeared to be from the 40s or 50s) in a defunct dealer in Illinios a few years ago on a family camping trip and I can kick myself for not at least asking about it..........Treasure is out there!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info.......

I did some research and found that the building was built in the 1920's for Morgan Motors, a Pontiac dealer. The family lived up above on the second floor. The sign was probably installed in the 50's.

At some point in the 90's, the Morgan family built a new dealership at another location. A few years later, they invested in converting the building into a restaurant and bar. It most recently was operated as "Pontiac Pointe" ( it is located at an intersection known as Five Points ). It closed at some point this year and the building is for sale for $549K.

I have attached a photo taken in the late 20's or early 30's. Check out the curbside gas pumps!

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Amazing that it's still there, I'll bet whoever owns the building has been approached more then once over the years.
I like that it differs from one of the more "common" style signs, with a more Art Deco detailing on it.
I would venture to guess it's older then the ones we see more often, which make even more amazing that it's still up.

These signs pull big bucks in any condition and even more restored.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts