Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately I have been hearing what sounds like some sort of loud relay clicking, back by my rear passenger wheel, near my gas filler area maybe. Sounds like a " tic-toc...tic-toc...tic-toc. They are 2 different pitch clicks, like a relay or coil is opening and closing. I hear about 6 or seven clicks, while my car is idleing, and then it stops. I usually hear this when I have just started my car after sitting over night, or for a while. Doesn't do this every day, just once in a while. Anybody have any ideas? Im thinking maybe my fuel pump? It feels like it is coming from under the car near the wheel area. I can actually FEEL this when it happens as well as hear it, it seems. Car is running fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Check your tail pipes.
One of your hangers could have broke loose. It happens to me a few times a year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If not the gas door switch how about the trunk release? There has been times where I would hit the trunk release and it would click but not open. Other than that I'm out of suggestions for you. Good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is this while the car is warming up? If so, part of the fuel system's evap parts are back there and it makes some weird ticking/knocking sounds while the car is warming up. Totally normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this while the car is warming up? If so, part of the fuel system's evap parts are back there and it makes some weird ticking/knocking sounds while the car is warming up. Totally normal.
That may very well be what it is! Thank you! I'm not worried about it, but was wondering what it might be and if it is normal, or something not working properly!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing and I have exactly the same issue. While we are on the subject of strange noises I have a metal on metal slight tapping sound that happens every time I go over a bump. Its a faint sort of rattling. Its definitely coming from the cabin and sounds like its right under the steering wheel. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen so I dont have to go on a scavenger hunt.

Thanks,

Evan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lately I have been hearing what sounds like some sort of loud relay clicking, back by my rear passenger wheel, near my gas filler area maybe. Sounds like a " tic-toc...tic-toc...tic-toc. They are 2 different pitch clicks, like a relay or coil is opening and closing. I hear about 6 or seven clicks, while my car is idleing, and then it stops. I usually hear this when I have just started my car after sitting over night, or for a while. Doesn't do this every day, just once in a while. Anybody have any ideas? Im thinking maybe my fuel pump? It feels like it is coming from under the car near the wheel area. I can actually FEEL this when it happens as well as hear it, it seems. Car is running fine.

Thanks!
Yes! I've wondered what this was since I bought the car in 2010 with 17000 miles on it. Only right as its warming up, 6 or 7 clicks at best. And only at idle speeds. I figured it was my exhaust warming up and it's expanding in the hangar or something.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing and I have exactly the same issue. While we are on the subject of strange noises I have a metal on metal slight tapping sound that happens every time I go over a bump. Its a faint sort of rattling. Its definitely coming from the cabin and sounds like its right under the steering wheel. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen so I dont have to go on a scavenger hunt.

Thanks,

Evan
Did you change struts recently? Not tightening the top nut enough will cause the top of the strut to hit the tower portion of the unit. That could be it. Lower control arm bushings? Ball joints? Not really a rattling noise persay, but you never know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No, I havent changed any suspension components yet but my struts are deff shot. Worst part is I have just over 15K on it.... But I have heard that time has just as big of an effect on them as milage/usage. Although this makes sense, the sound really sounds like its coming from the electrical system under the dash.

I know that if this is not a common issue I will probably end up taking a whole lot apart and doing some searching.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts