Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ought to get ya's shakin' your head...... Drove by my local Cadillac dealer this past Sunday. I saw it there a few weeks earlier but never paid attention to it. Sitting there out in front, along a heavily traveled road, it sat. And what drew me to it was the price tag as bold as, as bold can be in the windshield... A USED 2005 Yellow Mustang GT rag top. As I drove past I did a double take cause I thought my eyes were deceiving me, so I turned around to go back to make sure what I saw in the front window was indeed what I thought I saw.... Are you ready? 36,985. As I peered into the window expecting to see the dash board lavished in gold, frankincense, and myrrh, I noticed it was just your basic 5 speed. But I did notice what appeared to be a satellite radio receiver haphazardly mounted on the glove box. The dealer's window sticker was carefully placed upside down on the passenger seat, apparently hiding the wealth of goodies that surely for the price, lay hidden from plain view. I walked around the vehicle twice. There was nothing special about it, no stripes, center hub spinners, or decals, other than Mustang on the rocker panels. Plain Jayne it is. So today I called the dealer to inquire about it. I got a ditzy sales gal. I asked her if there was a mistake on the windshield on the price. I was told no that is what "we" are asking. I asked her politely if the sales manager was on drugs. I was told no, I told her he must be cause he's hallucinating if he thinks he'll get 37K for a used one. I asked her if she knew what a new GT rag top sold for she said no, I told her, the last time I looked it was cheaper to buy new than used, but more power to you if you expect to get close to it. I said man, its just another mustang. I was told the guy traded it in for a caddy. I must be missing something here. A guy goes and purchases a new GT and then trades it for a caddy. hmmmmmm, perhaps the employee discount is just too enticing, but to trade in a Mustang GT, I mean come on, it's retro. He must a got one heck of a trade in allowance. Anyone top that? 37k for a used Mustang GT?

·
Registered
364 Posts
:rofl: That guy that traded up to GM must have been a great salesman.

"This is a limited production vehicle, Ford is not going to make more than 200k of these this year. Just based on supply and demand you can get more than MSRP on a used one."

·
Registered
18 Posts
In Pa 37k

I just read your post about the 37K, is this in PA in american dollars or is that in Canadian dollars? With the conversion that works out to about 14.5K, still a little high for a ford, but get closer to the true market value!

Give me the dealers number so I can call and ask some questions! I need some lite entertainment this afternoon!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
golfshaftguys said:
I just read your post about the 37K, is this in PA in american dollars or is that in Canadian dollars? With the conversion that works out to about 14.5K, still a little high for a ford, but get closer to the true market value!

Give me the dealers number so I can call and ask some questions! I need some lite entertainment this afternoon!
Hell yeah, give all of us the number! After the hectic week I've had I could use a few laughs..... :cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTODEALER said:
Hell yeah, give all of us the number! After the hectic week I've had I could use a few laughs..... :cheers
I knew you guys would love that.... and yes it is in American dollars :lol: :lol: Here is the name and number >>>Kelly Cadillac 1986 State RD Lancaster, PA 717-898-4000. I doubt it's sold :lol:

What a deal it is :rofl: :rofl: :willy: :willy: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
i called up a lexus dealer last week about a used acura mdx they had. i told the guy he was asking 3k more than the acura dealer was asking for the same used car, and that acura was offering 3.9 on their used cars, plus it was acura certified with an extended warranty.

i then asked if his price was negotiable. he told me they are asking 27k, and if he wanted to sell it for 25k he would have put a 25k price on the car.

i suggested he call an acura dealer to confrim i was not lying to a salesman. after a pause, thanks for your time is what i said, and hung up.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GTODEALER said:
So....... how many people called? I got put on "eternal" hold.....I think I may have pissed off the salesman. :rolleyes:
LOL Dealer, do tell...... What was their reason for the price? Whatever could you have said to piss em off? :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

I think for kicks tomorrow I may drive over and see what I can get on a trade for my GTO. Maybe he could ask 50K for my goat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
muohio said:
Even with all of the options the car only cost $35k new.

i'm gonna play a little devil's advocate here. have you guys tried to get an 05 GT at all? ford ran out. they're completely gone and the demand is huge. people are gladly paying over MSRP and waiting for months for their car. the dealers know this. they know that it's highly likely that someone will be willing to pay a good amount to have the "gotta have it" car now as opposed to months from now. yeah, that price may be over MSRP on a "new" model, but i'd almost guarantee some nut will pay it.

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
I called the dealer and of course started asking him about the car and he said "The demand on the market is so high for these cars right now, I can easily sell it for $37k. These cars are literally top of the line on the market for the muscle/sports car category right now - nothing can beat them and that's why everyone wants one."

I then proceeded to ask him what kind of trade I would get for it on my goat. He told me that he would maybe give me about $23k on a trade-in, because the 05 GTO isn't at all in the same category as the mustang, and shouldn't be worth near as much.

This is about the time I say "I can see you are a very smart man, because I agree wit you that the goat isn't in the same category as the mustang. There is no way it could ever compare to it having about 100 more horsepower and torque, and a much more comfortable and refined interrior along with a much nicer ride.

We went through this kind of thing for a few more minutes (I end up asking him why the heck anyone with a brain would buy a stang and for that much) and he evidentally ended up getting very ticked with me I guess. He went to hang up the phone and as he was doing so I heard him say "Damn stuck-up goat drivers."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I went back over to the Cadillac dealership that is selling the used Mustang GT for 37,000. I was incorrect in my description of it originally. It DOES NOT have Mustang written on the lower door panels, or rockers. It does have a satellite radio receiver mounted on the glove box, looks awful there.............I managed to piss off a salesman. As I was leaving I was approached and was asked if I wanted to take it for a spin? I said no, after driving that >>> and pointed to my goat, I said, I wouldn't be caught dead in that. He looked at the GTO and walked away. As he walked away I asked him... Why are you selling that for 37K when you can buy one new for 35K? He said, because they sell for 5K over invoice. I said but it's used with 2600 miles on it. Again he said they are 5K over invoice. I said someone has to be nuts if they pay that for a used Mustang. He said they have an interested party in Florida that is inquiring about it, and it's on ebay. I told him that guy's nuts. Good luck selling it, only a nut would spend that kinda money for that. I spent 45 mins trying to locate it on ebay and cannot find it. He was probably blowing smoke up my ass......I did find others and the prices are ridiculous for that type of car. If they are asking that kind of bucks for a used Mustang, I guess our GTO's are priceless.

·
Registered
565 Posts
WOW, I really hope they didn't think that I was very serious about buying the car (calling me the "interested party in Florida"). It's kind of funny though because they're going to start figuring out something is going on with the GTO world if we keep bothering them like this... and then they're going to hate us :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RiceEater said:
I called the dealer and of course started asking him about the car and he said "The demand on the market is so high for these cars right now, I can easily sell it for $37k. These cars are literally top of the line on the market for the muscle/sports car category right now - nothing can beat them and that's why everyone wants one."

I then proceeded to ask him what kind of trade I would get for it on my goat. He told me that he would maybe give me about $23k on a trade-in, because the 05 GTO isn't at all in the same category as the mustang, and shouldn't be worth near as much.

This is about the time I say "I can see you are a very smart man, because I agree wit you that the goat isn't in the same category as the mustang. There is no way it could ever compare to it having about 100 more horsepower and torque, and a much more comfortable and refined interrior along with a much nicer ride.

We went through this kind of thing for a few more minutes (I end up asking him why the heck anyone with a brain would buy a stang and for that much) and he evidentally ended up getting very ticked with me I guess. He went to hang up the phone and as he was doing so I heard him say "Damn stuck-up goat drivers."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Say RiceEater I wonder if you are the interested party in Florida inquiring about the Mustang..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: There is absolutely nothing special about this car, NOTHING. It's your average mustang conv. I hope the salesman went back into the showroom and told his cohorts the stuck - up - Goat owners are now starting to visit..... He's right , the GTO is not in the same category. We are in a league all our own.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is no way I would pay 1dollar over invoice pricing on any car, let alone a Mustang with the clasic chinsey interior and rather bland styling. The car to me would be 28k or walk even if I was wanting a stang. Not to say i do, cause all they are is a budget fast car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.