Votes: 109 66.5%
  • Automatic Tranmission

Votes: 55 33.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Im a full fledged auto kind of guy because I know how to make em quicker, shift harder, and last longer than any manual car out there!

plus while you manual guys are watching rpm's, matching shifts, and getting bigger forearms with your ripper shifter, im sippin on a slurpee relaxin!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bought a 400hp car for a reason...mainly the M6! You gotta love slamming gears. My girlfriend can hold the slurpee. :cheers

B

·
0 Posts
Well, when you guys are replacing clutches and synchros, I will still be on my original converter, trans, and rearend, beating every one of yall.............and STILL holdin that slurpee! lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
imo..if you bracket race ...get the auto and plan on doing some work to it...if you just like the feel of a hot rod, get the m6...a m6 is fun to drive, but if you use the car in everyday traffic, an auto might be your best choice ??? it depends on what YOU like....personaly the m6 was a "no brainer" for me...:cheers

·
Registered
273 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
If I was 70 with Arthritis, I'd get an auto too :rofl:
well i do have arthritis in my right hand but we won't go there. i felt it would hamper my shifting :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
big_mike said:
Well, when you guys are replacing clutches and synchros, I will still be on my original converter, trans, and rearend, beating every one of yall.............and STILL holdin that slurpee! lol
It's not a race, it's a rally. :cool

After mastering the m6, I don't think I could ever go back to a slushbox. Sure, I could have gotten an automatic, ran a high stall torque convertor, and beaten stock m6s in a straight line. But at the end of the day, it really isn't whether you win or lose. It's about how much fun you have... and just holding down a gas pedal isn't my definition of fun. Plus, not having direct control of your wheels while diving into serious corners seems ludacris to me. Now let's see what I can get with the money I would have spent making my tranmission competent. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
C5ORGTO said:
I choose the 6-speed, but I've heard that the 05 Auto is actually a 1/10th quicker to Sixty. Is that true?
Yeah, I heard that too. At first I thought it was a GM ploy to sell more automatics, but I dunno now.

B

·
0 Posts
the auto is quicker because the gearing in a 4-speed is more aggressive than a manual and the auto is "quicker" but not always "faster". an auto could run a [email protected] whereas a manual could run a [email protected] The automatics greatest advantage over a manual is you can just slam your foot and off you go. Maybe thats why I like the "slushbox" because its not all that slushy and it does what I ask, over and over again, the same way, everytime, with no input from me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
big_mike said:
The automatics greatest advantage over a manual is you can just slam your foot and off you go. Maybe thats why I like the "slushbox" because its not all that slushy and it does what I ask, over and over again, the same way, everytime, with no input from me.
Perhaps this is where we differ. I find automatics gear shifting unpredictble and hard to control in practical driving situations (beyond just a drag race). However, I can drive a stick well enough to make my car do what I want, the same way, 99% of the time. And I don't regret the 1% that I screw up, cuz it's my fault, not the tranny's. To each his own. :seeya:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Grabbing a handfull of 2nd at 6k RPMs and hearing the tires fight for traction, and run up to 6k and grabbing 3rd and 4th and so on in a M6 is just plum crazy, and when done right that slurpee will end up all over the ol'lady or the back seat, and the fun factor is well worth the 1/10th loss :)

B

·
0 Posts
I drive road course, autocross, drag, and in traffic to work. I am not taking away from the manual guys, you chose your trans for a reason and thats all you, I am just saying that MY choice is an auto because when built right, the auto will get you there on track day, get you to work, and still get you to dinner with a gorgeous lady.

Besides, if you prefer your hand on your stick as opposed to your lady, get a manual.

lol

1 - 20 of 55 Posts