Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been searching around the forum for the anwser to the question for a while. And I do know that the Automatic transmissions in our cars are great, but still wanted the option of manually shifting it like I could in some other cars that I have built with 700r4 or TH400 transmissions.

Ive looked on summit and other parts websites and have seen that B&M does make a couple rachet shifters that say they are compatable with the new GTO. Has anybody installed one in thier cars or even have pictures?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
NO!!!! DONT DO IT! I have had nothing but problems with my shifter, the metal flexes too much and makes it a nightmare to put the stupid thing in gear, and that was before i started have the problems that I have now and dont know how to fix. At least i knew how to fix that

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metal Flaxes? as in it just cant keep up with abuse or it has had that problem since you installed it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
can't keep up with the abuse, my stick literally flexes. It's ridiculous! That is just one of the many problems. Do you know much about clutches and Slaves?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are you talking about a shift kit, or a aftermarket shifter?

·
Registered
400 Posts
can't keep up with the abuse, my stick literally flexes. It's ridiculous! That is just one of the many problems. Do you know much about clutches and Slaves?
Red, mongoose is talking about an automatic transmission. Sounds like you are talking about a manual transmission. You have the B&M manual shifter for your car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The slave went bad so I replaced it, then in 40 miles the b**ch left me on the side of the road leaking fluid everywhere so we replaced it again. This time i got a vacuum bleeder and got all the air out of it and it wont go into gear at all, but the clutch is good. Am I missing something or is my transmission messed up?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you check all the bearings in the clutch? What about the Syncros in the tranny? Could be a number of problems not just the slave. And I guess no Shift Kits in the A4 cars huh?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I guess no Shift Kits in the A4 cars huh?
Not sure which item you are talking about. A "Shift Kit" for an Automatic is usually a few springs, checkballs, and/or a new valve plate for the Auto's valve body, or even a kitted valve body to swap out. But from what you were asking above, sounds like you're asking for a Shifter, just simply a new gear selector handle.

So which is it you're really wanting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have decent shifting from 2nd to 3rd and better from 3rd to 4th. I have to turn off the car to get it into 1st or reverse. I cant open the tranny because it's under warranty and I have to make sure that it is has nothing to do with the clutch or the majority of it's system. that isn't covered. and I thought he was talking about a B&M short throw. I kinda feel like and idiot for saying that no offense, it's a piece of ****. but there is nothing stupider than missing work cause you dont know WTF is wrong with your really pretty, fast red car. Hell i'd like to be able to drive it to 7-11 with out being afraid i'm going to have to go get my truck and trailer to get her home.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure which item you are talking about. A "Shift Kit" for an Automatic is usually a few springs, checkballs, and/or a new valve plate for the Auto's valve body, or even a kitted valve body to swap out. But from what you were asking above, sounds like you're asking for a Shifter, just simply a new gear selector handle.

So which is it you're really wanting?
Im talking the actual shift kit assembly along with the gear selector.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have never heard a bad thing about these cars in an automatic, not that it's un-heard of but a friend did a lot of performance stuff to his and he did change the way that the car shifts but it wasnt just the selector handle he did something else, I will have to get back to you on what he did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be awesome Red even if you can jsut ge the company where he bought it from or made the parts I can do my own reserch as far as exacts.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The slave went bad so I replaced it, then in 40 miles the b**ch left me on the side of the road leaking fluid everywhere so we replaced it again. This time i got a vacuum bleeder and got all the air out of it and it wont go into gear at all, but the clutch is good. Am I missing something or is my transmission messed up?
I have a person I'm going to run this by and see if I can get his response. He's done quite a few clutches in his day, and knows his stuff.

His respose:
Sounds like it's possible that something is allowing your slave cylinder to over extend and allow the seal to pop. The most likely culprit to this happening is a bad pressure plate. Now, with the yet again replaced slave, the bad pressure plate is not allowing the clutch to disengage and thereby not allowing you to shift.
So maybe that helps, maybe not. But I'm trying!:cheers

·
Registered
400 Posts
Im talking the actual shift kit assembly along with the gear selector.
Huges Performance may have a shift kit for your transmission. Welcome to Hughes Performance

As for the shifter unit, I'm not sure. I used to have a B&M ratchet shifter for my 73 Firebird so long ago, but I haven't looked into anything for the GTO since I drive M6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds wicked expensive but hey i'm tired of this this thing sitting in my driveway.
Would this make it so that I can go into all gears fine while the car is off, but once i start it no more shifting. I can tug it out if gear into neutral but it's and act of all religions to get this thing back in gear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts