Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've only experienced a thud in the rear when it has been U-Joints. However, U-Joints are pretty basic and usually last a long time. Seems strange that you are getting a thud like that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Check all your mounts. Engine and trans. Make sure they're all tight. I have had issues in the past with other GM cars where the trans mount had only 1 bolt in it and the mount was moving under a load.
Check all the shock hardware also. If everything checks out, look in another area, such as the drive train.
I know this may be silly, but remove everything from the trunk. Even the spare, chocks and jack. Then go for another ride. Sometimes the simple things can cause greif. Make sure the amp is secured properly too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
johnebgoode said:
Check all your mounts. Engine and trans. Make sure they're all tight. I have had issues in the past with other GM cars where the trans mount had only 1 bolt in it and the mount was moving under a load.
Check all the shock hardware also. If everything checks out, look in another area, such as the drive train.
I know this may be silly, but remove everything from the trunk. Even the spare, chocks and jack. Then go for another ride. Sometimes the simple things can cause greif. Make sure the amp is secured properly too.
I had forgotten about the motor mount bolts until you mentioned it and we had a car once that did exactly what EEZ GOAT described, it was a front motor mount bolt that had came loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts