Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
The A4 is shorthand for a 4-speed automatic transmission, and the M6 is the 6-speed manual (stick shift) transmission. Both are options for all 3 years of the GTO. With 06s, the A4 is usually a bit easier to find, IMO, because the M6s sell a bit faster, leaving more A4s on the lot. (Note that I'm not saying that M6s are better--it is all personal preference, and an A4 and M6 Goat are very similar in quarter mile times--it seems to depend mostly on the driver).

If you can drive both transmissions, it is personal preference. Some people have physical restrictions that limit them to the A4 (ie, bad knees or some other problem). Some people have to share the GTO with a significant other which may limit their transmission choices. If you don't know how to drive a stick yet but are wanting to learn, I've heard the GTO is very forgiving for learning a stick on, though I would personally recommend learning on a lower-performance vehicle, especially if you have not driven many performance vehicles before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
My girlfriend actually taught my how to drive a standard. She didn't want me to get the GTO, she was pushing for the charger. She thought it would be more practical. I compromised with her on the color (I was torn between blue/blue and black/red and she said she would not ride in a car with blue seats)



I thought it would only be fair to let her drive it so that she would understand - it was hard to get the key back and now she keeps asking when I'm going to buy her one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
m6

Dont get a auto, unless you do major city driving...even then. An auto you just drive, a manual, you love to drive. With a manual you have control over your rpms, with the auto you have limited control. There is nothing like rippin through the gears. Look for the other thred on this topic, automatic or manual. :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Good choice. Now you can switch gears faster then the other guys and not have to worry about missing a gear. But sadly we have to lose alittle more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I got mine in Manual since it was what I could find, Im still undecided
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
And if you get a 6-speed, its likely your wife won't drive it. Mine doesn't.
Just one more reason I went for the 6. And Hey! Its still had no dings, scratches, food stains and garbage on the inside and it has never been driven over a curb, over a parking block or scraped up against a curb. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Just one more reason I went for the 6. And Hey! Its still had no dings, scratches, food stains and garbage on the inside and it has never been driven over a curb, over a parking block or scraped up against a curb. :)
I think we can all agree on that one :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Don't forget that different people have different ideas of fun. You may have fun shifting, but not everybody wants to. Just like sports some may like basketball while others like baseball. What it comes down to is personal preference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I went with the M6, cause my wife can't and refuses to learn to drive an M6... See, so if I would of bought an A4 it would be her car by now and I would just get too dirve it sometime's, but since I went with the M6 the GTO's all mine...:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
the driving preferance is urs. if u drive alot go a4 if u dont go m6. i was origanaly going to get the a4 then i drove the m6 what a rush. the saleman i had said ive got a a4 u can drive nope but what clinched the deal was when he told me they raced the m6 vs a4 which car won well lets just say i bought the m6 if that tell u anything . btw the m6 beat the a4 by a car. also u lose hp with the a4 off the bat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
I've been into muscle cars since the 60's and never owned a four speed (manual) tranny. Lots of my friends did but it just didn't do anything for me. My son has a new GT with a manual and I drive it from time to time but still would never consider buying one. When you've got almost 500 hp at the rear wheels it's all you can do to keep it straight down the road, believe me.

JET
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
bluebyeu05 said:
the driving preferance is urs. if u drive alot go a4 if u dont go m6. i was origanaly going to get the a4 then i drove the m6 what a rush. the saleman i had said ive got a a4 u can drive nope but what clinched the deal was when he told me they raced the m6 vs a4 which car won well lets just say i bought the m6 if that tell u anything . btw the m6 beat the a4 by a car. also u lose hp with the a4 off the bat.
I would bet the title on my GTO that an M6 vs A4 would not be that much of a difference in a race, a car length no way. Stock Vs Stock, dont get me wrong I have an a4 and love a manual as much as the next guy but my a4 is no slouch shifting through the gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
lotaguts said:
I would bet the title on my GTO that an M6 vs A4 would not be that much of a difference in a race, a car length no way. Stock Vs Stock, dont get me wrong I have an a4 and love a manual as much as the next guy but my a4 is no slouch shifting through the gears.
well that is what he told me . now in my yrs of exp. a auto stock vs a stick stock same hp , the auto will loose. now if big if u know how to shift ur auto u just might be able to beat the stick. now if u want to beat a stick get a good torque converter.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top